PDA

View Full Version : Laminating tempered hardboard

brad feuerhelm
11-01-2012, 1:29 PM
Hi All,

I want to laminate two pieces of 1/4" tempered hardboard so I can have a 1/2" thick piece.
The question is which sides do I laminate? The both are the one sided kind, one face is tempered the other is the rough untempered face.

I thought to laminate the two tempered faces but not sure how it would hold.

Thanks

Brad

Ole Anderson
11-01-2012, 2:41 PM
Welcome to the Creek!

If laminating the two smooth sides together, I would use contact cement. But then you get two ugly sides out. What are you using it for?

Jim Rimmer
11-01-2012, 5:17 PM
I did that a while back to make a thick template. I laminated the rough faces together. It worked but I don't know if that is right or wrong.

Joe Kieve
11-01-2012, 5:21 PM
Depends on what you're using it for. I'd probably glue the two rough sides together with contact cement simply because
if I had to draw something on it, it'd be easier to see.
Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Mel Fulks
11-01-2012, 7:12 PM
I would use yellow glue applied to both of the rough sides .I don't trust contact cement under that much tension.Keep in mind it's going to spring back some.

Mel Fulks
11-01-2012, 7:18 PM
Not sure how I came to the conclusion it was going to be curved .Is it?.If its going to be flat I would still use yellow glue on rough sides.

brad feuerhelm
11-02-2012, 7:07 PM
Hey Guys

The long story is went to a garage sale picked up on a old dresser for 10 bucks. Going to use it for storage in the shop. One of the drawers needs a new bottom. But for some reason whoever built it used 3/16" for all drawer parts except for the bottom, they used 1/2" light untempered hardboard for that. I have a bunch of hardboard sitting around the shop but it's 1/4". So I figure I would just laminate a couple of pieces together to get the 1/2". I do plan on using the drawers for tools and the such so the bottoms need to hold up. But didn't really want to wast 1/2" ply for them bottoms. That probably would be overkill at best. So the reason for the hardboard. I'm just not sure which face should get glued up. Sounds like the rough surface. I don't have any contact adhesive around I do have some adhesive that I used to glue my composite tiles down on my bathroom floor (sub-floor ply), would that be the same? Or should I just get a can of contact adhesive? How long will it last around the shop before it starts to go bad?

The temps in the shop vary from the mid 40's to as high as about 68 depending if I'm working. I don't keep the heat on 24/7. It's a basement shop, so it gets cool in the winter which is coming up pretty soon.

So there you go, Thanks for all input guys,

Brad