PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest move of the day

Michael Ray Smith
11-01-2012, 10:02 AM
At least I hope this is the dumbest thing I do all day. I decided to get in a little woodworking time this morning before leaving for the office. I already had a board set up to joint an edge, so I just picked up my jointer plane and went to work. Nothing happened. No shavings at all. I started to adjust the blade, and at that point I could no longer continue to overlook the fact that was no blade. No iron, no iron cap, no lever cap. I forgot that last night I took the blade out of it (my "good" No. 7 blade, a Hock) so I could test another plane I just bought. How I manage to actually take part of a pass down the board without noticing is beyond me. Getting old is hell.

JohnPeter Lee
11-01-2012, 10:17 AM
At least you did no harm. I was working (too) late last night planing down a long thin angled piece to fit a floor-to-ceiling cabinet to the wall, accommodating the curvature along the wall. Didn't realize that I planed a 2-foot section on the wrong face of the board.

JP

harry hood
11-01-2012, 11:24 PM
It's interesting to compare this story with the equivalent in a power tool/machinery forum.

Carl Beckett
11-02-2012, 7:53 AM
This sounds like a clear deficiency of caffeine....

Jim Matthews
11-02-2012, 8:23 AM
It could be worse.

I too try to squeeze in a little extra shop time, last week just before church.
We were late when my wife pointed out the imprint of my Moxxon vise wheels on my new white shirt.

I don't know if that's so bad, frequently I have to come upstairs to ask why I went downstairs in the first place...

Dave Anderson NH
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Michael, sometimes you just see what you expect to see and reality just doesn't register. Kind of like hunting around everywhere for your eyeglasses and then finding them in your hand. DAMHIKT!!