PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft/Woodriver plane sale

Mike Cogswell
11-01-2012, 9:20 AM
If anyone is thinking about getting a Woodriver plane, or giving hints for a wish list, now it the time. Woodraft has them on sale for 20% off. For example, a #4 is currently $111.99.

Yes, I know it isn't a LN, but I have both and there isn't that much practical difference. The Woodriver has about 3/4 turn backlash while my LN is about 1/4 turn. The biggest functional difference is that the LN planes offer optional 50 and 55 degree high angle frogs. Both would take nice thin shavings out of the box, and virtually transparent ones after a few minutes with an 8000 stone.

Dale Cruea
11-01-2012, 2:27 PM
Last I saw these planes got a fairly good review. I think it was from Fine woodworking.

Matthew N. Masail
11-01-2012, 2:53 PM
I have a Woodriver No. 3, got it on sale too. if it's representative of the Woodriver quality, than they are fine planes.

Casey Gooding
11-01-2012, 7:28 PM
After using mine for a while (they were the previous model), I found that the irons were really soft once you got past the first 1/4" or so. I literally couldn't use them for more than about 5 minutes before I had to resharpen them. I wasn't even using them on anything exotic, just domestic woods.
Hopefully they've corrected this problem.