PDA

View Full Version : It's Todd Burch's Fault

Bruce Wrenn
10-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Yesterday, I replied to Todd's thread about how many cup hinges per door. I suggested he make a jig to use plunge router to drill holes for "dowels." Well today I got invited to price out a job that would have several doors mounted on cup hinges, so now I have to figure out logistics of making such a jig. Because the dowel holes are always in the same relationship to cup hole, it's a matter of figuring how to adjust depth from edge of the door, along with insert that indexes jig on cup hole. I may have my neighbor turn me a short piece of 35MM stock from some HDPE I have. I'll probably wake up around two in the morning thinking about it, so Todd when I lose sleep, it's your fault. (Only kidding.)

Todd Burch
10-31-2012, 11:02 PM
heh heh heh!!!

Todd Burch
10-31-2012, 11:04 PM
You can probably just use a cup hinge to index. It's already the right size!

Bruce Wrenn
11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
You can probably just use a cup hinge to index. It's already the right size!Rockler's repair plugs for misdrilled cup hinge holes will work. I just need "totally free shipping" to buy them. Now do I want oak or cherry?

Todd Burch
11-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Oak. I've found my cherry jigs don't last as long as my oak jigs.

Jeff Duncan
11-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Pretty easy actually, mark out your holes, drill them, and then rip the edge of the jig down so that the distance between the holes and edge of board is the distance you want your hinges set back. Now just attach your edge and done!

BTW, I'll say it again as it bears repeating, if you haven't tried the Inserta's a highly recommend them. They are quite an improvement over dowels;)

good luck,
JeffD