PDA

View Full Version : Finally got these done!

Mike Vermeil
04-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Following are a couple pics of two built-in cabinets I recentely completed for a customer. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics - they're too close and don't show the detail well. In both cases, the cabinets fit into exisiting alcoves in the customer's new house.

The first cabinet houses a LCD projection, big-screen TV. While it's nothing that fancy to look at - per the customer's request - it was actaully a bit challanging to design and build. The TV rests on a birch plywood cabinet fitted with adjustable legs that also houses the slides for the two drawers beneath the TV. The face frame then snaps onto both the plywood cabinet and the alcove itself, mating up flush with the face of the TV. Many times I've designed pieces going backwards from some specific opening or the like, but I've never designed a piece going backwards from two seperate, unattached objects. Luckily, installation went pretty smooth and the customer is happy. I really like the look of the whole unit.

The second is a pretty standard stereo cabinet. The interesting part of this project is it's the first time I've used those new brackets for attaching the Blum full-extension ball bearing slides to ordinary adjustable shelf standards. I was skeptical at first, but they work very well. The customer can now adjust all five shelves up and down as necessary to accomodate any size A/V component. Sorry I don't have pictures of the brackets themselves, but I'll try to get pics of them on a new project I'm working on now.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Rob Sukach
04-20-2005, 12:05 PM
looks good ... very clean design. i like it!

Tom Hurlebaus
04-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Mike,

Great job ...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Excellent work Mike!

Mike Scoggins
04-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Mike,

Nice job!

The interesting part of this project is it's the first time I've used those new brackets for attaching the Blum full-extension ball bearing slides to ordinary adjustable shelf standards. I was skeptical at first, but they work very well.
I haven't heard about these, but I'm very interested. I hope to work on an EC later this year and these sound like a great idea.

Mike

Jeff Sudmeier
04-20-2005, 1:22 PM
Mike,

Both of those look like they fit the needs nicely. A lot of people don't want something super fancy, just something that looks "right".

David Fried
04-20-2005, 1:40 PM
Ditto all the above comments. I like the clean lines. Doesn't draw attention to it's self but is very handsome when you do look at it. I expect the owners will feel the same way many years down the road. Great job!

Pete Salvatore
04-20-2005, 3:23 PM
Very nice. Looks like a Hitachi 50 inch LCD Projection. Did you make the cabinet so that there was easy access to it when the bulb goes?

Mike Vermeil
04-20-2005, 3:53 PM
Very nice. Looks like a Hitachi 50 inch LCD Projection. Did you make the cabinet so that there was easy access to it when the bulb goes?

Pete,

Actually it's a Sony LCD projection. I forget the exact size. The face frame snaps in place and can be removed at any time, although I encourage the customer to do so only when necessary to avoid damage.

Mike

Dan Forman
04-20-2005, 4:18 PM
Understated elegance. Very nice.

Dan

Tom Pritchard
04-20-2005, 7:07 PM
Mike, these cabinets are beautifully done! Very simple clean lines, and a really great job of finishing. Thanks for sharing!

John A. Williams
04-20-2005, 8:19 PM
Mike that's nice work! I'm really curious how you attach the face frame so that it is removeable. Care to show us your secrets?

John

Peter Stahl
04-20-2005, 8:24 PM
Mike that's nice work! I'm really curious how you attach the face frame so that it is removeable. Care to show us your secrets?

John

I was wondering that also.

Pete

Mike Vermeil
04-21-2005, 12:18 AM

John

John,

I used "double roller catches with springs" from Rockler on this cabinet, but am switching to brass ball catches on the next one. The spring catches worked OK, but didn't have the amount of retention provided by ball catches.

One end of each catch is mounted on the back side of the face frame, with the mating pieces mounted either to the plywood interior cabinet or to blocking attached to the house's alcove.

Mike