PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic?

Walt Langhans
10-31-2012, 5:52 PM
Hey Guys!

A few questions about working with acrylic.

1/ When lasering acrylic does the laser polish the edges as it cuts them or do they still need some attention?
2/ When you engrave it do you always get that white color, or does it depend on the acrylic / color of the acrylic?
3/ How do you make it 'glow'? Is it as simple as putting some LED's along an edge?

Thanks!

Martin Boekers
10-31-2012, 6:00 PM
Cast Acrylic engraves "frosted"
Extruded is more of a channel
Color Cast Acrylic engraves frosted also, but with a bit of the color showing through.

Yes, LEDs will make it glow, you can use markers too as I'm sure you have seen restaraunts have a "specials" board.

Acrylex has a great selection and will send sample out if you like.

Vector cutting gives a nice edge, but for a real finished look you will need a flame polisher or a torch with MAP gas.

Looks like you are off and running!

Mark Ross
11-01-2012, 9:02 AM
We have found that for most applications if we set our frequency to 5k and go back and hit the edges a couple of times, it does a fairly good job of making the egdge clear, however, nothing beats flame polishing.

Walt Langhans
11-01-2012, 1:45 PM
Thanks! Does anyone have a supplier that they can recommend?

Martin Boekers
11-01-2012, 2:08 PM
I like Delvies as they have a good selection and you can buy small pieces (12"x12") are larger.
No cutting charge and discounts for larger quantities.

I would try and see if there is a local supplier as most sell off cuts at a discount, and let them know
what you do you may get some business from them.