PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if this has been widely seen... but it cracked me up.

jamie shard
10-31-2012, 4:24 PM
http://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2009/11/10/sharpening-a-moulding-plane/

:)

Trevor Walsh
10-31-2012, 4:49 PM
I saw it a while back. I love seeing it.

Zach Dillinger
10-31-2012, 4:57 PM
That poor plane.

george wilson
11-01-2012, 7:39 AM
I cannot get the blasted thing to load.

Matthew N. Masail
11-01-2012, 1:10 PM
LOL

George, maybe it's the universes way of protecting you from such a horrid image

Jim Koepke
11-01-2012, 3:43 PM
I cannot get the blasted thing to load.

Lot of internet problems with the storm damage.

Try again later.

jtk

george wilson
11-01-2012, 5:32 PM
Finally got it to load. I'd like to have seen how irreparably damaged the plane really was to warrant it being destroyed.

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2012, 9:27 PM
I think it's hilarious. Seems like typical English humor to me, but I may be making assumptions based on some of the spellings.

Randy Karst
11-02-2012, 12:58 AM
I guess English humor just doesn't strike me as very humorous.

jamie shard
11-02-2012, 8:48 AM
I'd like to have seen how irreparably damaged the plane really was to warrant it being destroyed.

Yeah, me too, but I'm trying not to second guess him. Laughing to keep from (potentially) crying.

george wilson
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
One more antique lost forever. What a stupid thing to do. That plane COULD have been repaired.

Zach Dillinger
11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
One more antique lost forever. What a stupid thing to do. That plane COULD have been repaired.

But it didn't have a flat-to-a.0001-tolerance A-2 iron and the sides weren't ductile iron... it clearly wasn't worth using to make furniture in today's world...

/disgusting

Jim Palmer
11-02-2012, 12:51 PM
The neighbour should've asked the writer to sharpen the iron and not the plane. :D

David Weaver
11-02-2012, 1:51 PM
I have some wood planes that could be done with. They are probably worse off than that plane was.

Which reminds me, I need to get them out and dump them. Mine also had the benefit of being on the bottom shelf when a plastic container of blue dykem hit the floor and literally split and spattered everywhere. I have the urge to take the irons out of the planes and burn the planes, I think the irons are worth more by themselves than the planes are worth (they're all various hollows and rounds).

george wilson
11-02-2012, 2:11 PM
Give them to the Blue Man Group,David.:) They don't need blades as they are just actors,and I really get aggravated seeing actors pretending to do actual work in movies!! Especially their slow motion swinging of sledge hammers,picks,or mindless beating on anvils.

David Weaver
11-02-2012, 2:48 PM
I'll bet if i took out my pile of worthless H&Rs that I bought early on (well, the irons aren't worthless, I could probably get $5 a crack for the irons), and creatively took video to hide the fact that they are completely blue, I could really create a controversy by showing their makers marks and then burning them, etc.

Some of them, the bottoms look like they were run in a T channel for a few thousand yards until they got lines permanently in them, and others have nail holes and such in the bottom. Some others are fine, but just common and worthless types that have no chance of finding a match, and aren't worth the cost to ship them. I wish they were about 6 feet long so I could cut them down and use the beech!

george wilson
11-02-2012, 2:52 PM
Hopefully you have developed more discriminatory taste by now!!:) (sp?)

David Weaver
11-02-2012, 2:57 PM
Yeah, I literally got a box of 40 planes from an antique dealer for $350. 6 of them are dado planes and some are genuinely useful, and several more are good-shape beaders (but the same issue with most common moulding planes, they are architectural sized beads). But I would've been better off not buying the whole bunch, because the only ones I've used in earnest are the small ones. If the power would've gone early this week, I would've probably used the big ones to heat a percolator in the fireplace.

Andrew Nielsen
11-02-2012, 7:37 PM
I believe he is of English heritage now living in Australia. Either way it's hillarious.