PDA

View Full Version : Any Speedy 400 news?

Jason Saul
10-31-2012, 4:12 PM
Hi guys - Anyone have any hands on experience with a Speedy 400 in the US? I have one on order and am considering changing the wattage. Would love to chat with someone who's purchased and taken delivery of one in the states!

Keith Outten
11-01-2012, 5:04 AM
Jason,

As I recall last time I talked to Amie McGee she told me that they haven't received any of the Speedy 400 machines yet. I hope to hear from Amie today, I will ask for an update.

Concerning the laser wattage IMO more is almost always better no matter what machine make, model or manufacturer. Since the cost goes up quickly with larger watt tubes the cost benefit ratio changes dramatically depending on where you stand on the fence. I found in my sign shop that going from 35 watts to 80 watts saved me a lot of time so the cost was recuperated quickly, not to mention the increase in the type of projects I can provide now with more capacity.

I am probably typical of most people in that my first laser engraver was low power due to the cost, once I got my business model established and found my market a more powerful machine was much easier to justify and the time line recuperating from the investment was much shorter.

Mike Null
11-01-2012, 5:21 AM
Jason

I agree with Keith's position on power.

Where are you located?

Jiten Patel
11-01-2012, 5:32 AM
Hi Jason,

I am in the process of looking at a 400. There is only 1 in the UK at the moment, but I am assured they are selling like hot-cakes. I am waiting to finalise a price to see whether it is a viable options. I am looking at a 80W system with all the bells and whistles. I may be flying to Austria to demo one so will keep you posted.

Jit

Jason Saul
11-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Keith - Thanks for your input and hey, we're in the same state (I'm in Richmond!). We're currently set to receive the 80 watt but I'm thinking about bumping up to 100-120. I'm also waiting to hear back from Amie today.

Mike - Located in Richmond, VA and I run a shop called BIG SECRET

Jit - I've also been told the demand is very high for the S400. Thanks very much for letting us know if you get to demo one in Austria!

Keith Outten
11-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Jason,

Since we're neighbors we will have to get together sometime. I travel to your neck of the woods every now and then........when I have signs to install :)

I just finished engraving my first piece of glass with our Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt. The quality is fantastic using wet newspaper.

Jason Saul
11-01-2012, 1:00 PM
Would love to get together! Please do let me know the next time you're headed our way. Looks like we're only an hour or so apart! Glad to hear it about the glass engraving - would love to see a photo if you get one posted.

Keith Outten
11-02-2012, 7:32 AM
Amie was out of the office yesterday, I will try to contact here again today.

Jason, I wish I could find a way to get a good picture of engraved glass but I never have been able to come up with a picture that you could see any detail.

Jiten Patel
11-05-2012, 6:29 AM
Hi Keith, any news on this one?

Keith Outten
11-05-2012, 6:54 AM
Amie and I have been playing phone tag for several days. Our schedules couldn't be any farther apart, mine has been extremely busy because I have several projects to complete before I retire.

Amie setup a phone conference for Tuesday afternoon, the President of Trotec will be joining our conversation as well.

Jiten Patel
11-28-2012, 5:21 AM
Just thought I would resurrect this one. Still waiting to see one of these and use it. Should be soon. Found out a little more info on the Ceramic laser source.

Basically a normal RF tube has a metal rod inside them (I am sure someone with far more mechanical knowledge can elaborate on this!). Over time this metal erodes and causes failures in the tube. It also requires water cooling for the more powerful tubes. The ceramic tubes however do not erode over time and therefore are more consistent with power and output level. They are also air cooled. They are fairly new therefore there isn't really a benchmark on how long they last, but it's Trotec at the end of the day, so I am sure they are up to scratch.

As far as I can see, the machine is almost identical to a 300, just a large bed side and can accommodate materials with a greater height, with the added feature of a pass through. Also the software has had an update, but until I use it, not really sure about the differences.

Will keep you posted, but in the meantime if anyone has used one, or has an opinion, would love to hear it.

Keith Outten
11-28-2012, 5:55 AM
I was able to talk to Amie yesterday afternoon but it was late in the day so our conversation was brief. She mentioned that there were some Speedy 400's moving but I don't remember if she indicated whether they were in the US or elsewhere.

We are scheduled to talk again this morning, if I can remember to ask her about the Speedy 400 machines I will inquire.

Scott Challoner
11-28-2012, 8:32 AM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but has anybody looked into the iCut feature from Trotec? I was exited to see the ability to read registration marks on a laser but for now, the price is just too high for me. I was quoted $6k for the option.

Mike Null
11-28-2012, 9:59 AM
Scott

I've seen it in operation and it works well but I bought a Graphtec cutter with the same feature for $1300. It would seem that the feature is a bit high.

Ross Moshinsky
11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but has anybody looked into the iCut feature from Trotec? I was exited to see the ability to read registration marks on a laser but for now, the price is just too high for me. I was quoted $6k for the option.

I saw it in operation and it works well but the cost is just way too high. I could see certain people paying for it if they are heavy into printing but for the average person I just don't see it paying off. Plenty of ways to work around it.

Scott Challoner
11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Scott

I've seen it in operation and it works well but I bought a Graphtec cutter with the same feature for $1300. It would seem that the feature is a bit high.

That was my exact thought Mike.

You're right Ross. Plenty of ways to skin that cat, but it sure would be a nice feature for $500 or so. Right now it seems over complicated and over priced. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Vegas in January so hopefully I can at least see it in action then.

Keith Outten
11-28-2012, 12:40 PM
According to Amie the Speedy 400's are shipping here in the US. The bad news is that the waiting list is already into February so you better get on the list if you want one.