PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Turnmaster Demo

Tim Rinehart
10-31-2012, 8:42 AM
Not like I needed another tool or reason to buy one, but our local Woodcraft had a demo yesterday with a rep from Sorby doing about 2.5-3 hour demo on various Sorby products, among them the new Turnmaster line.
The demo started with a talk about the Sorby ProEdge sharpening system, a belt driven sharpening station. The advantages of this system seem compelling, though not the price at about 5 benjamins as I understand. The primary advantage I see are that you are not hollow grinding your tools, so you do get a bit better of an ideal ability to ride the bevel on the workpiece, and especially for sharpening a skew it seems to be much better. I already freehand sharpen my skew with a belt grinder I lay on it's back, so I've already figured that one out. They even have diamond coated belts for this sharpener. I think this would be ideal for someone who doesn't have an existing slow speed grinder that they have tuned to be wobble free and true, or with a CBN/Diamond wheel. Were I starting out and had the cash to spend...it seems like a very good setup.

The demo went next into the Turnmaster line of tools. This is a nicely designed setup that I suspect they came out with as an alternative to folks who are interested in the EWT line concept. Like the EWT tools, these all do their primary work in a scraping fashion. The price point on these is very reasonable, and the costs of the heads is downright cheap so you can keep various cutters mounted and just quickly change on the head only one one handled setup. The cutters are available in a variety of shapes and materials, with the Titanium Nitrided ones being a nice compromise on cost vs edge holding at just a few dollars more. The thing that sets these apart from EWT tools was the simple but ingenious way the head can be rotated 45 deg left or right to shear scrape for fine turning the last few cuts of a piece.

The demo also went into the use of the Ultima hollowing tool, a pretty cool self-clearing design. If they had any in stock, I'd have been interested given the 20% discount yesterday, but they didn't, so I'm going to try one before I decide I really need it.

I didn't buy anything, but my friend Bruce did get one of the Turnmaster tools, so I'll see what he thinks after taking it for a drive on his own and then perhaps letting me borrow it for a weekend ... or two.

Glen Blanchard
10-31-2012, 9:54 AM
Tim - It appears that the Turnmaster is not yet available (in the states, at least). Was there any indication when stores might be receiving them?

Tim Rinehart
10-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Our local Woodcraft is stocking them (or had some stock brought in??), so I suspect they will be available soon nationwide.

Glen Blanchard
10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
How are the Tungsten and HSS tips sharpened? Are they merely placed face down on a diamond stone?

wes murphy
10-31-2012, 11:16 AM
These tools are in the new Packard catalog.

Tim Rinehart
10-31-2012, 1:05 PM
How are the Tungsten and HSS tips sharpened? Are they merely placed face down on a diamond stone?

The tungsten could be sharpened face down on a diamond stone, as could the HSS. The titanium coated ones would lose their surface hardness by doing that, but if edge sharpened like most HSS hollowing bits they will retain the hardness of the cutting edge. I would probably sharpen both the HSS and titanium nitride coated ones on a universal platform like I do my square HSS bits. They do sell a tool holder to aid the sharpening if needed.

Glen Blanchard
11-01-2012, 9:44 AM
Tim - As I understand it, regardless of the type of cutting tip used, the tool is presented and used as a scraper. Is this correct?

Tim Rinehart
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Tim - As I understand it, regardless of the type of cutting tip used, the tool is presented and used as a scraper. Is this correct?
Yes, the primary mode of wood removal is scraping, though the head can be indexed 45DEG left or right to shear scrape. Shear scraping wouldn't be done with a couple of the tool shapes due to small contact area. but certainly the round(ed) or square tools would work in that mode.

mark ravensdale
11-18-2012, 8:14 PM
I got the sorby belt sharpener about 2 years ago and used it about 12-14 month but went back to using my bench grinder,
sharpening on the wheel just seems to work better (not 100 percent sure why, but it does!!!)
also I found the belts didn't last very long at all (both the zirconium and the ceramic belts)
Also the bar that holds the fingernail profiler got abrasive dust on it which wore away the chrome coating which made moving the profiler from side to side difficult and awkward,
Ultimately I found the flat bevel just didn't work as well as the slightly hollow ground bevel off the bench grinders wheel!, unfortunately finding this out cost me in excess of £300 (UK pounds) :mad: