PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking on NCIS

Steve Beadle
10-31-2012, 3:25 AM
I was intrigued by the cameo appearance of an old Shopsmith 10-ER down in Jethro's basement workshop on tonight's episode of NCIS. Anyone who is a fan of the show probably knows that Mark Harmon's character, Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, is an avid woodworker. I'm not sure if he himself is the fan of woodworking or if it's just the writer of the show, but when the action takes place in Jethro's shop, I usually stop listening to the dialogue and start looking at the tools on his wall or on his bench. Some of the tool usage he has demonstrated has seemed pretty lame (especially on the ribs of one of the boats he built), but I am still glad to see our hobby being enjoyed by one of the most prominent and popular characters on television.

I know of a few other celebrities who enjoy woodworking or who have depicted characters who plied their hobby on-screen, such as William H. Macy, Nick Offerman (Parks & Recreation), Andy Rooney, William Sadler (on Roswell), and Diane Ladd (Nights at Rodanthe). Are there any others that my fellow Creekers might know of? Oh, yeah: Kyra Sedgewick made some rustic outdoor furniture in the movie, Phenomenon.

I wonder what the real story is about these peoples' woodworking--whether it's just a part they're playing, or whether they truly pursue the hobby.

Steve

Mark Kelly 92040
10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Regarding Mark Harmon - he is actually a woodworker. From a 2010 article http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv-radio/mark-harmon-could-be-set-for-separation-on-the-set-of-ncis/story-e6frf9ho-1225874466265 :

"His other way of escape is woodworking. And yes, that is exactly what the character Gibbs does on screen.

Harmon picked up his skills as a carpenter during a summer job in high school. A casual mention to producers that he once helped a neighbour build a biplane in his garage and they promptly wrote it into his scripts.
Gibbs builds boats in his basement - and burns them once complete. Harmon, who has taught his sons to be adept with carpentry tools, says his woodwork skills don't extend to boats.

"I don't know much about building boats - it is certainly different to building an aeroplane or a piece of furniture to a degree - but it is all about the wood. It's the texture, the feel, the smell, all that."

Brian Tymchak
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I was kinda shocked that Jethro being a die-hard neander up to this point, pulled the trigger on a power tool!! But, then I was worried that he was going to flip the switch on that shopsmith just after having poured three-fingers of his favorite bourbon, but then the scene faded out. That would not have been a good message..

As far as other celebrity woodworkers - Harrison Ford is known for his finish carpentry.

David Nelson1
10-31-2012, 10:28 AM
I was intrigued by the cameo appearance of an old Shopsmith 10-ER down in Jethro's basement workshop on tonight's episode of NCIS. Anyone who is a fan of the show probably knows that Mark Harmon's character, Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, is an avid woodworker. I'm not sure if he himself is the fan of woodworking or if it's just the writer of the show, but when the action takes place in Jethro's shop, I usually stop listening to the dialogue and start looking at the tools on his wall or on his bench. Some of the tool usage he has demonstrated has seemed pretty lame (especially on the ribs of one of the boats he built), but I am still glad to see our hobby being enjoyed by one of the most prominent and popular characters on television.

I know of a few other celebrities who enjoy woodworking or who have depicted characters who plied their hobby on-screen, such as William H. Macy, Nick Offerman (Parks & Recreation), Andy Rooney, William Sadler (on Roswell), and Diane Ladd (Nights at Rodanthe). Are there any others that my fellow Creekers might know of? Oh, yeah: Kyra Sedgewick made some rustic outdoor furniture in the movie, Phenomenon.

I wonder what the real story is about these peoples' woodworking--whether it's just a part they're playing, or whether they truly pursue the hobby.

Steve

I didn't stay up late enough to watch it live, (dvrs rule) but like you I always lok arounfd the shop to see what he has laying around. I'll have to make sure I payattention this afternoon.

Brian Tymchak
10-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Gibbs builds boats in his basement - and burns them once complete.

I haven't heard that he burns them. I must have missed an episode somewhere along the line. I remember that that he replied to McGee's question of how he got them out, "Just break the bottle". At least 1 made it out of his basement and on to Mike Franks beach, and then back to San Diego, and in turn, back to Abby's lab as a crime scene.

David Nelson1
10-31-2012, 10:36 AM
I didn't catch the burning either and 1+ on the Mike franks comment.

John TenEyck
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
What was the price? Something like $269. A bargain for sure for those who like Shopsmiths. My grand dad had one, now my dad has it, and I suspect he'll give it to me someday. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I probably will keep it just for the sentimental value.

There was an actor way back when, in the 50's or 60's maybe, seems like his first name was George. Anyway, he was an OK actor, but a terrific woodworker. Some other actors saw his furniture and started asking him to make some for them. Pretty soon, the guy gave up acting to run a very successful woodworking business. Anyone remember his name?

John

Kevin Presutti
10-31-2012, 1:02 PM
I too enjoy Special Agent Gibbs and whole NCIS gang. It seems he does alot of hand work which makes sense since he is alway work on a boat. The emphasis is more on the case than with his boat building talent. Seems like a good place to have a beer and pizza or chinese down in the basement shop as he never is caught on film doing the dishes or laundry! LOL

Dick Holt
10-31-2012, 1:14 PM
William H Macy really is a woodworker. He makes round things. There was an article about him in Wood magazine IIRC.

Dick

Steve Beadle
10-31-2012, 1:19 PM
I got a kick out of one episode where Gibbs was showing some babe how to smooth one of the ribs of the boat he was working on. He was sort of wrapped around her, guiding her hand as she held a tool (a sanding block, maybe?) back and forth on the wood.

I also wonder if they're EVER going to reveal how he got the boat out of his basement shop, or are the writers having too much fun just teasing us with the puzzle?

By the way, I seem to remember the price tag on the Shopsmith as $253.00, but I'm not sure. I'll have to watch it again!

Steve

Brian Tymchak
10-31-2012, 1:43 PM
I also wonder if they're EVER going to reveal how he got the boat out of his basement shop, or are the writers having too much fun just teasing us with the puzzle?

I have to believe that the writers are saving this for the series finale or during a final season, whenever that might be.

Jim Rimmer
10-31-2012, 4:37 PM
I was worried that he was going to flip the switch on that shopsmith just after having poured three-fingers of his favorite bourbon, but then the scene faded out. That would not have been a good message..

That raised my eyebrows, too.

Joe Spear
10-31-2012, 5:21 PM
I think the price was $259. McGee thought that was a lot, but we woodworkers know better.

Don Williams Michigan
10-31-2012, 6:02 PM
John,

The actor you were thinking of was George Montgomery. He was a skilled woodworker and was also married to Dinah Shore.

greg yovich
10-31-2012, 11:13 PM
It wasn't McGee who thought it was expensive, it was Tony. As for the boat Gibbs built, I believe many of the parts were from a Glen-L kit, it's on their website about how their boat made it on a TV show.

Bob Reda
11-01-2012, 6:18 AM
I think it was implied that the shopsmith 10er he left for his dad. Whats wrong with 3 fingers of burbon before woodworking? as long as you have ten when you are done :)

Joe Spear
11-01-2012, 6:46 AM
Right. It was Tony.

Steve Beadle
11-01-2012, 2:23 PM
I also remember that Steve Martin once played dramatic role in which he was a woodworker. I can't remember the exact title for sure, but it was something like "A Twist of Fate." So that makes me wonder if Steve Martin is interested in woodworking.

Larry Fox
11-01-2012, 2:30 PM
Dennis Elliot from Foreigner is a turner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Elliott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Elliott)

Sid Matheny
11-02-2012, 12:58 AM
I saw that new one also but wasn't to happy with his starting to use it with a bottle of bourbon in his hand. Not a good message!

Sid

Jim Mackell
11-02-2012, 5:06 PM
But no one has a problem with his drinking out of his misc nuts and bolts jar? Seen that 10 or 20 times. Dumps out the junk, blows out the dust and pours himself or his guest a drink.

Jason Roehl
11-02-2012, 5:15 PM
I was kinda shocked that Jethro being a die-hard neander up to this point, pulled the trigger on a power tool!! But, then I was worried that he was going to flip the switch on that shopsmith just after having poured three-fingers of his favorite bourbon, but then the scene faded out. That would not have been a good message..

Probably not the best message, to be sure, but I'm also a fan of knowing one's own limits over sticking to some hard-and-fast rule. There have been plenty of times I'll have a couple beers while working around the house, including before, during and after the use of various power tools.

As far as other celebrity woodworkers - Harrison Ford is known for his finish carpentry.

Ford was working as a set carpenter when he tried out for Han Solo, if memory serves.

But no one has a problem with his drinking out of his misc nuts and bolts jar? Seen that 10 or 20 times. Dumps out the junk, blows out the dust and pours himself or his guest a drink.

Hey, when you're thirsty... I suppose I'd at least wipe it out with my shirt first. ;)

greg yovich
11-02-2012, 6:30 PM
Come on, it's Hollywood!

Jim O'Dell
11-02-2012, 6:40 PM
Maybe the thought is the alcohol content would kill any germs that might be there.:eek: Then again, it's Gibbs....no germs would dare be there in the first place.;):D:D Jim.

greg yovich
11-02-2012, 7:42 PM
Honestly I thought he was going to baptize it in ancient woodworkers ritual, instead he just lovingly caressed it with drink in hand. From the looks of it, he had no intention of using it, instead he was going to enjoy his drink and enjoy looking at his new toy, kind of like many look at their new car - sometimes with a drink in hand and no intention of driving, just looking and enjoying the moment.

Guy Belleman
11-02-2012, 8:42 PM
When watching the show, I didn't get any impression Gibbs was going to turn on the ShopSmith. It appeared to me he was just cleaning it up and then thoughtfully admiring it. Agreed that any message about drinking being okay when operating power tools is not good, but it seems that his basement, and shop, is his social place and personal area, and often his eating area. I kind of admire that he has his own space, that would be nice.

I remember my own father looking carefully over the ShopSmith articles, but went with other brands.

Roger Feeley
11-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Yep, William H. Macy is a bowl turner. the article was in Fine Woodworking (cover) and as I recall, it said that his contract stipulates two trailers. One for him and one for his powermatic lathe. he gives the bowls away to friends.

Chris Parks
11-03-2012, 4:55 AM
Harrison Ford, built his own house and had a reputation a very good cabinet maker if you can believe everything you read on the net.

Guy Belleman
11-03-2012, 8:07 AM
I saw the show and it appeared that "Gibbs" was just finishing cleaning up the tool with no indication of turning it on, when consuming his refreshment of choice. It seems that his basement is his social area and working area.

Jim Rimmer
11-04-2012, 9:04 PM
Harrison Ford, built his own house and had a reputation a very good cabinet maker if you can believe everything you read on the net.

I read a few years ago that when his career didn't take off, he worked as a handyman to live until a good part came along.