PDA

View Full Version : Veneer advice

Phil Martinez
10-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Hey, my name is Phil and I have been doing woodworking for close to 40 years, I have done furniture, cabinets and doors. Mostly southwest style since I live in New Mexico. I want to veneer some panels for an old VW truck, I have done some veneer but not much since there is not a lot of demand for that kind of work in this area.
My questions are as follows

The panels need to be 1/8" thick and be able to conform to some minor contours, what substrate would be suitable for this application?

What veneer type would be best for this application, raw veneer, backed veneer or peel and stick?

What finish is the best for this application, being that it is going to be panels inside a vehicle and it will be outside in summer and winter, huge temp swings and our climate is pretty dry in the summer?

What is the best adhesive for this application?

I would appreciate input from veneer masters, I was referred to this forum by Joe woodworker.

Thanks for your help, Phil

Chris Fournier
10-31-2012, 8:44 AM
0.125" including face and backer veneers or 0.125 substrate?

Phil Martinez
11-01-2012, 12:19 AM
this is .125" total

Jamie Buxton
11-01-2012, 1:04 AM
The panels need to be 1/8" thick and be able to conform to some minor contours, what substrate would be suitable for this application?

For something that thin, I'd just make plywood with standard veneer. Five layers would get you 1/8". As in all my veneering, I'd make it in a vacuum press. It is the best way to clamp the floppy laminates together while the glue cures. If you don't want to use that many laminates, you can buy thicker veneer in some species. Certainlywood.com has thick veneers. Jow Woodworker may too.

What veneer type would be best for this application, raw veneer, backed veneer or peel and stick?

I wouldn't trust peel-and-stick in this environment. The temperature range will stress what's a rather weak adhesive.
You could use backed veneer, but you're paying for something you don't need. Backed veneer usually means large sheets of veneer made from multiple leaves, edgejointed, fastened together, and held to each other with a backer sheet of paper or wood. You don't need big sheets, so paying a manufacturer to make the big sheets for you is a waste.
Straight veneer is the way to go.

For this application, I don't see any reason to get more exotic than regular ol' Titebond.

Phil Martinez
11-02-2012, 2:48 PM
Thank, Phil

Greg Portland
11-02-2012, 5:19 PM

For this application, I don't see any reason to get more exotic than regular ol' Titebond.
Disagree. Titebond can cause numerous problems including bleedthrough and the propensity to creep when the piece is removed from the form. Given the humidity changes and heat/cold cycles in the van, I'd consider a powdered glue like Ultra-Cat. However, Better Bond or something similar may be enough given the lack of severe bends in the form.

Here's some more info r.e. veneer glue: http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/glues.htm