PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to have that "talk" with my table saw?

JohnPeter Lee
10-30-2012, 9:04 PM
Lately, it's been more of a table and less of a saw. Perhaps it's time to let it go and reclaim more floor space in my minuscule basement shop.

:rolleyes:

JP

Trevor Walsh
10-30-2012, 10:37 PM
I'd at least relocate the fence, you could get at least 2 more handsaws on there without it whilst moving the fence to a forgettable location that will someday vex a buyer looking for the original parts.

Be careful what you put there, I have a corner of my workbench that always has stuff on it. I can't seem to keep it clear for the life of me.

Todd Burch
10-30-2012, 10:55 PM
LOL

That's what my TS looks like, and I use it multiple times a day!!!!

glenn bradley
10-31-2012, 8:49 AM
I know others who do this. In my shop what you show is a crime against humanity :). My shop is about 20 x 30 so, not tiny but, not huge. I understand that space limitations require versatile work surfaces but, a shop where any flat surface is a collection point doesn't allow for much work outside of looking for somewhere to work :D. Maybe set all that stuff on the floor and use you saw to make a quick and dirty work table? :eek: Good luck. I'd lend you my 'shop stretcher' if I had one.

Prashun Patel
10-31-2012, 8:51 AM
Don't you think it's offensive to the tablesaw to store handsaws on top of it? ;)

David Weaver
10-31-2012, 9:15 AM
If you don't work a lot of sheet goods, I'd put a big bandsaw right there instead.

JohnPeter Lee
10-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Harbinger of doom...

JohnPeter Lee
10-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes, very little sheet goods. And I'd like to have some capability for resawing. I think the end is near for the TS. It's never really that cluttered, but lately, as my hand tools skills and confidence have improved, it gets less and less use.

JP

Dale Cruea
10-31-2012, 11:13 AM
What is a table saw?

Todd Burch
10-31-2012, 11:17 AM
What is a table saw?

Too funny. It's a tool that you may use someday when you don't have a week to do what us power tool guys can do in an hour. :p

JohnPeter Lee
10-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Too funny. It's a tool that you may use someday when you don't have a week to do what us power tool guys can do in an hour. :p

The point of the journey is not to arrive.

Neil Peart

Jim Koepke
10-31-2012, 11:47 AM
If you got rid of the TS, where would you put all the stuff on it?

I have a corner of my workbench that always has stuff on it. I can't seem to keep it clear for the life of me.

That is why my next bench will have a tool tray.

Though part of the problem is inheriting a "pack rat" gene or two from my father. There are pieces of wood in my shop that might be better used in the fireplace, but it sure seems like they will be great in some future project.

jtk

Mark Wyatt
10-31-2012, 3:53 PM
I'm reaching the same conclusion with my tablesaw. What time I get in the shop now is spent with hand tools. I'm having fun with my new hand saws. I have a circular saw and a straight edge if I need to make cuts in sheet stock. And I would rather replace the saw with a slightly lower assembly table. Why not ditch the tablesaw? If you find you need one after it is gone, there are plenty available or use one belonging to a friend!

Peter Pedisich
10-31-2012, 4:17 PM
JohnPeter,

I sold my table saw a few months ago, and the only time i've regretted it is when I wish to rip or crosscut a piece of wood.

Really, though, the positives have far outweighed the negatives, and i have a tracksaw and small bandsaw to take on some duties.

-Pete

Zach Dillinger
10-31-2012, 4:25 PM
Tablesaws are far from necessary. I'd yank that cord outta the wall like I was pullstarting a lawnmower, and post it on Craigslist faster than you can saw "Om... what is the sound of one hand sawing? Om..."

Trevor Walsh
10-31-2012, 4:49 PM
Funny thing there is and hand saw termed a tablesaw, it had a plate that was not as deep so it could cut curves like cutting out a round table top. Think of a panel keyhole saw.

Bob Jones
10-31-2012, 5:35 PM
I sold my ts a while ago and I don't regret it a bit. I do have a 18in bandsaw :) I also use my handheld circular saw on a wooden foldup table.

Peter Pedisich
11-04-2012, 9:06 PM
Lately, it's been more of a table and less of a saw. Perhaps it's time to let it go and reclaim more floor space in my minuscule basement shop.

:rolleyes:

JP

I just noticed the Coleman gas, Annies Mac-n-cheese (my son's favorite), and the non-fat dry milk. Looks like you were ready for Sandy!

-pete

Christopher Charles
11-07-2012, 3:27 PM
I have both at TS and 18" BS. If i could only have one, it definitely would be the BS without question.

Good luck,
C

Brian Kincaid
11-08-2012, 9:39 AM
Sell table saw, upgrade bandsaw. Enjoy!
-Brian

Russell Sansom
11-10-2012, 2:21 AM
A track saw is a practical alternative. But even for a mostly hand worker like me for 55 years, there are some tasks and some production runs that make more sense with a table saw. I've been shopping for a compromise so I could sell the PM 66, but I can't find one. The old Incas give me a headache, they are so unergonomic. At this point I'm considering just cutting the 52" fence down to 36" and pushing the PM-66 into a corner for the occasional TS-centric job....with a nice plywood table top on it, so it can do what it does best most of the time in my shop as well.

JohnPeter Lee
11-24-2012, 3:11 PM
Well, that was quick - the table saw has left the building, and I'm luxuriating in the new floor space. So many possibilities. Thanks for the push!

Band saw on order. Still enough room for another work table - possibly for the miter box and saw that's tucked onto a shelf that's begging for a rehab. Then I can sell the compound miter saw ;-)

JP

Jim Koepke
11-24-2012, 3:52 PM
Still enough room for another work table - possibly for the miter box and saw that's tucked onto a shelf that's begging for a rehab.

My miter box is set up so it can be clamped in one of the bench vises. This saves a bit of space on the floor that can be used to set up an assembly table on saw horses or other duties.

jtk