PDA

View Full Version : Riffler Files/Rasps

Jon McElwain
10-30-2012, 6:13 PM
So, I've been looking at riffler rasps to help with shaping carvings. There seem to be the super cheap <$20 sets, and expensive >$100 sets. I understand a little about the thoughts behind hand cut, but when looking at two hand cut sets, one cheap and one expensive, what do I need to know?

Thanks!

Jim Matthews
10-30-2012, 6:52 PM
I have good results with Lee Valley products.
Their service after the sale is particularly satisfying.

Why not call them directly, and let them field your questions?

Mike Henderson
10-30-2012, 6:57 PM
My experience with rifflers has not been good. The coarse set is too coarse and the fine set is too fine. I haven't used a lot of sets, but every one I did use, that was the situation.

Mike

george wilson
10-30-2012, 7:29 PM
Cheap rifflers always have a SHARP bend between 2 straight areas where they are cut. What they NEED is an even,smooth curve throughout their cutting surfaces. To say nothing of decent steel,proper hardening etc.. I make my own because the shapes and sizes I want are not available.

Gary Herrmann
10-30-2012, 8:35 PM
Haven't used them, but I suspect you'd be happy with the quality of the Aurious and the Liogiers. But they won't be cheap. I think Traditional Woodworker sells German or Austrian rifflers. Again, no personal experience tho.

John Coloccia
10-30-2012, 9:00 PM
My experience with rifflers has not been good. The coarse set is too coarse and the fine set is too fine. I haven't used a lot of sets, but every one I did use, that was the situation.

Mike

Ditto. I have some rifflers here that are RIDICULOUS. I'm not even sure what they're intended to be used on as they are just way too course to use on anything resembling wood. I use a handful of riffler files for really fine work...like chalk fitting parts. For that, hey work very well. I've never found a riffler appropriate for any sort of carving work, try as I might.

Trevor Walsh
10-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Anybody use the TFWW ones made in Pakistan?

Steven Hsieh
10-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Anyone here own one of the Aurious files?
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TAUR/item/AU-RR01.XX/Hand-Cut_Riffler_Rasps_by_Auriou_Type_1_-_Knife/Spoon_Shape

Chris Griggs
10-31-2012, 6:30 AM
Anybody use the TFWW ones made in Pakistan?

I have their handle makers rasp. I would say it's on par with any other high end rasp (though I've only used other brands briefly). I would imagine that their rifflers are just as good. If the handle makers rasp I have is reflective of their whole line, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, I think the Gramercys are as much bang for buck as you'll find anywhere. I would not hesitate to buy more.

Zach Dillinger
10-31-2012, 9:08 AM

Mike

This has also been my experience. I'll take a carving, or regular, chisel over one of these every time. Of course, I've never tried a high end set, but I'd definetely pass on the cheap set. It was a waste of $30 when I bought them.

David Weaver
10-31-2012, 9:13 AM
Ditto that on the last part. I think I got a cheap set of them about 7 years ago when I got into woodworking. They are a good example of a tool that is never actually designed to do anything other than separate you from money for being cheap, and then be thrown away when you realize they don't work. I don't remember where I got mysale, but at the time I was probably making a plane tote and thought they would be useful.

There are a LOT of products like that at woodworking retailers. It would be helpful if we had a "list of useless tools" to point out which tools beginners shouldn't buy.

Bob Lang
10-31-2012, 9:26 AM
Two truths about tools.
#1-you get what you pay for, cheap rifflers are nearly useless although some of them can be used to open paint cans
#2-you don't need a "set", this is especially true when you get into carving. You only need a few specific tools in the curves of what you are carving. Over time, you may end up with hundreds of gouges and rifflers, but you only need a few to get started.

I've used most of what is available, and the tools from Joel at Tools for Working Wood are a great value. They aren't cheap, but they work well and aren't as dear as the French rasps and rifflers.

Bob Lang

Randy Goodhew
10-31-2012, 6:17 PM
You owe it to yourself to try the Iwasaki Carving Files.
They're a different animal then toothed rasps, but they are worth every Yen in cost.

Blessings.

Mel Fulks
10-31-2012, 7:17 PM
If George goes to the trouble of making them they must have some special use. Please tell us what that is!

Jim Koepke
10-31-2012, 8:09 PM
I have not ordered anything from Frog Tools.com so I do not know what they have.

http://www.frogwoodtools.com/Catalog/09.htm

I have received a few Italian rifflers in tool lots bought on ebay that seem to be good tools. I do not use them as much as my straight rasps by Auriou.

The coarse rasps do not have as much use to me as the finer grained rasps.

jtk

george wilson
10-31-2012, 9:39 PM
Years ago I got into relief chiseling on things like the lion's mask I posted a casting of in classifieds here. I made miniature rifflers to smooth out metal after chiseling.

Rick Fisher
10-31-2012, 10:33 PM
I have 3 x Auriou and 3 x Liogier rasps..

If I where looking for Rifflers .. I would order them from Liogier because you can have whatever you choose. Order whatever grit you want .. They are about $60 buck .. but life is too short to suffer through cheap tools.. I say that because I get the feeling your not happy with what you have ..

Liogier is great.. They make the product when you order it .. email you when its shipped... and it appears.. Quality is about the same as my Auriou .. At least I cant tell the difference ..

You could also send an email to Logier . That fella seems to know more about Rasps and Rifflers than any one person should know .. lol

I like that you order, and some expert rasp maker in a little plant in the South of France starts forging a tool for you .. a week later its shipped away..

Mel Fulks
11-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks, I thought they were just used on wood. The stuff I usually see in catalogs are described as "wood rifflers" and could not see how they would be better than chisels and knives.

george wilson
11-01-2012, 3:41 PM
There are rifflers with finer file teeth for metal. In fact,probably in the past,die sinkers would have used more rifflers than anyone else. You can also use wood rifflers for carving stone,though the idea of it makes me cringe.