PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl

Jim Ketron
04-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I saved this wood from a burn pile. It measures 12 x 4 finish is Watco and buffed on the Beall (did not use white diamond). Turned very nice but kinda gave me fits with the sanding but got it all taken care of. my pics are not very good got to work on that!:o

Fred LeBail
04-20-2005, 6:01 AM
Nice bowl, Jim. I have my walnut bowl rough turned, soaked,wrapped and drying. It should be dry in a week or two.
Keep'm coming.

Karl Laustrup
04-20-2005, 6:27 AM
Nice looking bowl, Jim.

Maybe you've answered this before, but how do you do your signature etc, on the bottom? I just use my initials with the year, with one of those branding irons. I like the look of yours. :)

Raymond Overman
04-20-2005, 7:26 AM
That's a great looking bowl. The thickness and shape of the bowl is nice. Very balanced and inviting. A nice ceasar salad would go well with it.

My father just brought home a nice load of walnut. A few of the cuts of the trunk were at least 36 inches in diameter and one of the pieces had some burl in it. I hope to get to his house with my chainsaw soon and blank some of it up. It should be fun to turn.

Carole Valentine
04-20-2005, 7:32 AM
Nice one, Jim! I shudder to think of all the beautiful wood like that walnut that goes up in smoke.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-20-2005, 8:14 AM
Jim,

That is a great looking bowl! The form and the wood have come together for a great peice.

Jim Ketron
04-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Nice looking bowl, Jim.

Maybe you've answered this before, but how do you do your signature etc, on the bottom? I just use my initials with the year, with one of those branding irons. I like the look of yours. :)

Used A Sharpie marker on this one, thats what I use most of the time. I do have one of those branding irons I use on furniture, but I like the personal touch with just hand writing them.
Jim

Richard Allen
04-20-2005, 3:27 PM
Hi Jim

That is a nice looking bowl! My favorite shape. The rim, sloping out like that, is terrific. The curve looks smooth and full, very sensious. I also like the footless bottom. As for a bowl this is as good as it gets. If anyone wonders what a good looking bowl should look like, your bowl is exactly what they should be trying to do.

What are you doing with all these turnings you have been showing?

Thanks

Ed Scolforo
04-20-2005, 6:11 PM
Jim: Another great bowl! I like the grain pattern, and the form says "pick me up". Congratulations!

Ed

Michael Pfau
04-20-2005, 6:22 PM
Very nice..love walnut

Jim Ketron
04-20-2005, 6:35 PM
Thanks all for the kind words;)

Richard
I will be selling most of the bowls that I have been showing. A few Im going to keep;) There are a few showes comming up in the fall That Im going to. So Im trying to build up my stock. I have several drying and a bunch that are ready to turn.
Jim

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Very nice bowl, Jim. Glad your new lathe is getting a good work out.