PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck gasket inquirey

Greg Bender
10-30-2012, 4:41 PM
I have a question for anybody who has created their own vacuum chuck. What did you use for the seal on the wood mating end? O- rings , neoprene, whatever else is out there. If you found affordable neoprene ,who did you get it from? And what color did you use? I've tryed a few weather stripping's but they were not a great seal. I've turned two cup style ,like powermatic's, out of some 6061 that I bought, but did not finish the seal area in hopes of finding something cheap .
Thanx,Greg

Jason Clark2
10-30-2012, 5:00 PM
Adhesive backed craft foam (I think it's called "Foamies"). I found it on the craft aisle at the local WalMart.

Mike Golka
10-30-2012, 5:05 PM
Old mouse pads.

David Gilbert
10-30-2012, 5:08 PM
Was was just downstairs planning an vacuum chuck that I will use to make some eggs so your timing was great.

I use the Creatology Foam Sheets that I buy at Michaels Crafts. They come in a thin (~1/8") and a thicker (~1/4") version. The thin comes in all sorts of colors and the thick comes in black or white. I use the thick white version. I glue it onto my PVC fittings with contact cement. The thinner versions tend to crack more easily than the thicker version. These foam sheets cost about $1 each (I think) so they are easily replaced when they wear out.

Cheers,
David

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2012, 6:03 PM
Greg - I use closed cell packing sheets... the kind you get when you receive something through UPS or FedEx. I don't glue anything to the chuck.. just hold the sheet between the form and the chuck and apply vacuum. Works great... as long as you remember to cut a small X in the center of the foam sheet!

Jeffrey J Smith
10-30-2012, 6:34 PM
I've been using the closed cell foam sheets from the craft store, Walmart, et all (marketed under many names including Funky Foam). I buy the white variety so it won't mark my pieces. Generally 2mm is plenty thick enough for most pieces I've finish turned. If I need to mount something that isn't finish turned, I'll use a 3mm sheet of foam. Any thicker than that and I can see the piece deflect slightly when cutting I make my chucks from either wood, plywood glue-ups or PVC couplings and adapters of various sizes (used with the JT Turning Tools vacuum hub).
I've found that the closed cell foam has a memory that causes it to de-bond with the pvc when glued with contact cement. Not a major issue, I usually just leave it a little long and wrap it with a layer of tape below the rim of the chuck to keep it from sticking up. It's not a game breaker - I've used the same sheets just loose on the front of the chuck and it works fine - just a visual thing, I guess. Neatness counts sometimes (please don't look at my floor)

The contact cement seems to work fine for the wooden chucks. I did make up a 1-1/2" thick piece of MDF that has grooves cut in it slightly larger than the rim of my chucks (can fit several on the same board, and use both sides). When I need to change the foam, I use the tailstock as a press and force the chuck, foam and grooved board together to bond the foam to the chuck. It makes a nice tight, smooth surface and acts as a template to cut the excess foam of cleanly. The board also holds a number of the PVC chucks when not being used.

James Combs
10-30-2012, 8:17 PM
Adhesive backed craft foam (I think it's called "Foamies"). I found it on the craft aisle at the local WalMart.

+1 for using the adhesive backed foam from the Walmart craft area.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2012, 9:19 PM
Closed cell foam with a little spray adhesive works great.

Greg Bender
10-30-2012, 9:31 PM
I've been using the craft foam from Hobby Lobby but it seemed that I was not getting a good seal. Maybe I'm leaking from between the stock hand wheel and the arbor shaft. I guess I need to try the lamp tube through a rubber bottle stopper to carry the vacuum seal through the back of the chuck. I will continue to refine my system till I suck the bottom out of one of my bowls and then I'll be convinced that I have enough vacuum!!!
Greg

PS I found a guy with 4" diameter silicon disc's cheap on Fleabay.

Alan Trout
10-30-2012, 9:55 PM
I use Silky winks foam at available at hobby lobby. I use the white colored and it works very well and very cheap.

Alan

Sid Matheny
10-31-2012, 7:35 PM
+2 for using the adhesive backed foam from the Walmart craft area.

Sid

George Heatherly
10-31-2012, 10:00 PM
+1 for closed cell foam with a little spray adhesive.