PDA

View Full Version : Projects made with wood from Mike Cruz

Steve Mawson
10-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Couple of Bird houses-one walnut roof and one cedar, a box about 3.5x 4 and 2 wave bowls about 3.5x3.5. Wave was made with walnut and maple veneer. Amb. Maple came from Mike Cruz about last Easter. Lacquer finish. Hopefully a photo tent will be one of the next purchases.

Mike Cruz
10-30-2012, 8:09 AM
Glad you're getting to put that wood to good use, Steve! These pieces look great. I love the wave in the bowls, the walnut and maple veneer were perfect choices for color, and I specifically like the shape of the bowl on the left. You nailed that one, to my eye.

Do you make the little birds, too, or are they purchased?

Greg McClurg
10-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Steve,

Those look great. How do you make the wave bowls?

Greg

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Great looking pieces Steve. Very well done.

paul vechart
10-30-2012, 6:15 PM
Those are really cool pieces Steve...if you don't mind me asking how do you get the stripe in the wave bowls.

Thanks,

Paul

Steve Mawson
10-30-2012, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the comments. The birds are purchased off the internet. I believe the site has been commented on here before, anyway all I did was a google search and found them that way. They are fairly reasonable as I recall.

As far as the wave bowls go: John Beaver came to Omaha, NE-Loess Hills Woodturning club last month to give a demo on how he makes the bowls. Then John stayed for an extra 3 days to do hands on classes. I attended the demo day and went back for the hands on class. Since this is how John makes a living I would rather not get into how they are made. John posts his work on this site from time to time and he may comment but I will leave that up to him.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-30-2012, 8:21 PM
wow steve! I really love your work! awesome!

charlie knighton
10-31-2012, 5:18 PM
very nice, i like the standing bird houses