PDA

View Full Version : Birdhouse and bell ornaments

Roger Chandler
10-29-2012, 10:12 PM
We are in the throws of the effects of Hurricane Sandy at the moment.......the National weather service has issued blizzard warning for our area overnight............could not stand to stay cooped up in the house and watch tv, so I took a bit of time to turn some ornaments..........the bell and one of the birdhouse ornaments is from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree [350 year old white oak from the civil war era]

The other is southern yellow pine and has a walnut roof......the SJPT birdhouse has a maple roof for contrast. We were sent word that one of the venues that is carrying the SJPT items wanted some ornaments, so I sent out word to our club members...........not much turning time lately, but I enjoyed getting in the shop this evening. Not the best pics, .......sorry!

Comments always welcome!

John Daugherty
10-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Those look great Roger! I'd love to get my little grubby wood hording hands of some of that Prayer Tree wood.

Roger Chandler
10-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Those look great Roger! I'd love to get my little grubby wood hording hands of some of that Prayer Tree wood.

In that respect, my hands are tied due to the agreement our club has with the lady who donated the wood......some of the proceeds from the turnings are going to the Wounded Warrior Foundation and Civil war battlefield preservation organizations.....

Thanks John!

John Daugherty
10-30-2012, 2:58 PM
Oh, that's no problem Roger. I wasn't asking for any. I just thought it would be neat to have a piece. I read about that tree somewhere and thought then it would be neat having some to turn. The connection to Stonewall would be cool! Being an ol' southern boy myself I've always been an admirer of Jackson.

Again, the ornaments are really nice.

John

Billy Tallant
10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Those look great Roger!!!

Roger Chandler
10-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Those look great Roger!!!

Appreciate your comment, Billy.......thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Great pieces Roger. I like the bell.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2012, 7:44 AM
Nice work on everything Roger! You did a really nice job on the oak - very clean! Hope the storm passes quickly and without dumping much snow!!

jared herbert
10-31-2012, 9:13 AM
Just wondering where you get the little birds from? THanks in advance

Jim Laumann
10-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Roger

Neat ornaments - wifelet would love them.

Could you tell me the approx dimensions of the bird houses/roofs? And what size are the screw eyes?

Many thanks

Jim

Roger Chandler
10-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Just wondering where you get the little birds from? THanks in advance

I got the ones you see in these pics from Micheal's Crafts Store...........I went in to our local store yesterday, and they did not have any the size of the ones in the pics.......I have not seen that size as of late........I think CraftSupplies USA carries some in their catalog......not cheap by any means!

Roger Chandler
10-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Roger

Neat ornaments - wifelet would love them.

Could you tell me the approx dimensions of the bird houses/roofs? And what size are the screw eyes?
Many thanks

Jim

The ones you see in the pics are anywhere from 2.25 to 3 inches tall from tip to tip.........the eyelets came from Ace Hardware.......Micheal's has more in a package for much cheaper. I just picked out what looked like would work well as far as size.......not sure what they are.