PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Wiring Delema ?

jason walcott
04-19-2005, 9:30 PM
I just bought a 3HP motor from my local woodworking store. It came out of a Jet unisaw. I have wired up my outlet and switch and the meter reads 240 volts. My motor does not want to start. There is no wiring schematic on the motor. There are 3 wires black is marked #1, yellow is in the middle but is not marked, and red is marked #3. I have my black wire hooked to the black, my white hooked to red, and my green grounded. Can anyone tell me why the motor does not fire?

Mike Deschler
04-19-2005, 9:46 PM
Jason:

It feels like they brought out all the windings on separate leads. If it were me and I am an electronics engineer, I would contact the motor manufacturer directly and get a schematic of the motor. If not, at least try an industrial motor rewinding shop for the correct connections. I don't think you want to parallel all the windings and put them across the 240 line.

CPeter James
04-19-2005, 9:58 PM
This is a link to the manual for a 3hp Jet saw. the last page has the wiring diagram

CPeter

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/M-708770.pdf

Alan See
04-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Jason, If it turns out that you have wired the motor correctly, and it still won't start, you may have a bad capacitor. Are you sure the motor is still good? Why was it removed from the saw?

greg kurtock
04-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Are you certain it's not a 3-phase motor?

CPeter James
04-21-2005, 6:13 PM
3 Phase, what an interesting thought. Read the data plate and let us know.

CPeter

jason walcott
04-21-2005, 10:20 PM
CPETER James, Thanks for the link. I found the right saw manual wich gave me the wiring diagram. The two hots black, and white go to the #1 and the unmarked yellow wire, and the green wich I had not connected to any thing needed to go on the red wire marked #3. The motor works great Thanks so much for your help.