PDA

View Full Version : Breakfront china cabinet question

Rod Dilyard
10-29-2012, 3:24 PM
Hello, all! As a longtime lurker I know this is the place for answers that are worth every penny. ;)

I've just completed the base of a large two-piece breakfront china cabinet in cherry and hope to complete the upper section this winter. My question is what should I put on the bottom of the upper section to keep it from damaging the finish of the lower section? I was thinking of using that sticky-backed felt material stuck to the bottom of the upper cabinet. The whole piece is finished with 3 coats of sprayed polyurethane with 3 additional coats of wipe-on poly to the top. It's going to have all winter to cure, but I have this nightmare that after years of sitting with the top in place, the felt will have bonded with the finish and when I try to seperate the two I will end up with half the felt embedded in the finish.

Any thoughts? Thanks a million.

PS: I know it doesn't exist until there are pictures so I'll take some tonight and hopefully get them posted in a day or two.

Sam Murdoch
10-29-2012, 4:03 PM
Wood to wood. Once you set the upper down it won't be moved so there should be no issues.

If you are asking for a temporary W.I.P. solution you can add some soft rubber door bumpers or cork pads to the underside of the upper or place a nice thick, clean moving blanket on the base top.