PDA

View Full Version : Table with BLO applied-pics.

Tom Pritchard
04-19-2005, 9:18 PM
I have been working on this little table for our main hall, and I posted a question a week or so ago about wipe on poly over BLO. Many people recommended a special brew mixing BLO, Naphtha (I didn't even know this stuff existed before this forum, now I can spell it :D ), and Poly. I decided to go with the BLO alone, and then apply the poly afterwards. The maple was very light, and I wanted the ability to control the depth of tint using just the BLO. I am so excited about this table! While I was rubbing in the BLO my 15 year old son came down and said "Wow Dad, that table is soooo beautiful! Just think we built it together!!" How priceless is that! I also realized at that moment in time that we had created something that will last beyond me, and he can tell his children about the table he built with me! Anyhow, I digress. I guess I just keep loving this hobby more and more each minute! Here are the pictures of my table with BLO. Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a happy guy.

Bob Yarbrough
04-19-2005, 9:28 PM
Off subject, how do you like the saw in the background?

Bob Yarbrough
04-19-2005, 9:29 PM
And the table looks awesome!!!! Nice work.

Todd Burch
04-19-2005, 9:33 PM
Tom, very nice table, nice clean shop and a most excellent bonding story too! woo-hoo!

Todd

Tom Pritchard
04-19-2005, 9:34 PM
Off subject, how do you like the saw in the background?

Bob, I've had this saw (Craftsman 22124) for just over a month, and I am completely satisfied with it! The saw was easy to set up, accurate, has more than enough power to rip 2" thick rock maple, and has many extra features that make it a great saw for the money. Go and look at one that is properly set up (sometimes the Sears employees do not do a good job of setting up their floor model) and see how you like it. Better yet, find someone who has one and will let you try it. I'm betting that this saw is going to fill a nice niche for us WW'ers who want a saw with great features and can't afford huge bucks for one. Happy shopping Bob!

Tom Pritchard
04-19-2005, 9:36 PM
Tom, very nice table, nice clean shop and a most excellent bonding story too! woo-hoo!

Todd

Thanks for the kind words Todd! It's been great to have my son in the shop with me for hours at a time, talking about anything that pops into our heads, even woodworking from time-to-time!!!

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Very nice table, Tom. I love the figure on the aprons, too!! The oil did a nice job popping things. Do consider a non-poly varnish for better clarity. The "durability" is nearly identical unless you're using the table as a floor, too...

Lou Morrissette
04-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Great looking table, Tom. I showed it to LOML and she wants one. Very clean design. Your story brought back memories also. My son is now forty and we still enjoy woodworking projects when we can get tgether.

Lou

Tom Pritchard
04-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Very nice table, Tom. I love the figure on the aprons, too!! The oil did a nice job popping things. Do consider a non-poly varnish for better clarity. The "durability" is nearly identical unless you're using the table as a floor, too...

Jim, here's another rookie question; are there varnishes available in a wipe-on format? I've finished several pieces with shellac, and I have trouble with brush marks when finishing large areas. I'm hoping the wipe on stuff is easier to control. I have a few days to decide while the BLO is drying. Thanks Jim.

Tom Pritchard
04-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Great looking table, Tom. I showed it to LOML and she wants one. Very clean design. Your story brought back memories also. My son is now forty and we still enjoy woodworking projects when we can get tgether.

Lou

Thanks for the reply Lou! Hope I didn't make more work for you with the LOML request :p . It's nice to hear that you are still doing projects with your son. I hope I'm that lucky some day!!

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Jim, here's another rookie question; are there varnishes available in a wipe-on format? I've finished several pieces with shellac, and I have trouble with brush marks when finishing large areas. I'm hoping the wipe on stuff is easier to control. I have a few days to decide while the BLO is drying. Thanks Jim.

Sure there are. But make your own. Why pay them a premium for selling you basically thinned varnish?? That's all it is. Make your own by taking any oil-based varnish you like and thinning it 50/50 with mineral spirits. (Or Naptha if you want it to flash off a little faster....I prefer the MS) That's it. "Wiping varnish a la Tom".

Jeff Sudmeier
04-20-2005, 8:08 AM
Wow, I really like that table! I can't wait to see it fully finished!

Mark Singer
04-20-2005, 9:20 AM
Very nice table! Nice proportions!

scott spencer
04-20-2005, 7:41 PM
Hey Tom, the table looks awesome! I'll bet your wife is pretty pleased with it.....maybe she'll even recommend you get a new tool! :) Really nice job!

James Carmichael
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Congrats, Tom, that is a beautiful table and like you said, truly priceless.

The birth of a family heirloom:-)