PDA

View Full Version : 5 Gallon Thien Baffle

Matt Meiser
10-29-2012, 2:47 PM
Anyone built one? I acquired another CT22 to dedicate to my Kapex. Nice vac, but expensive bags. I'm quite satisfied with my Dust Deputy on my boom arm setup but it would be too tall to hide under the Kapex stand--I think Thien baffle would fit (and be a wee bit less expensive!)

Carl Beckett
10-29-2012, 5:48 PM
Should work well Matt. I haven't built one, but if it doesn't work out for some reason that clearvue 5 gal design might be lower profile than the DD

Jerry Bruette
10-29-2012, 10:16 PM
I built one and use it on my table saw. Actually wish I had a 6 gallon pail, more capacity before the dust starts overflowing into the shop vac. Only complaint other than capacity would be it's a little tippy, but that can be remedied easy enough.

Jerry

Matt Meiser
10-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Jerry got any pics?

Mike Goetzke
10-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I built one years ago and it's still going strong. Here are some pics but I replaced the temporary baffle with a thin sheet of aluminum after making sure the shape was right. I also used a chlorine bucket because it has a thicker wall and a screw on lid:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust/Bucket%20Baffle/IMG_2693.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust/Bucket%20Baffle/IMG_2694.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust/Bucket%20Baffle/IMG_2688.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust/Bucket%20Baffle/IMG_2689.jpg

Mike

Joseph Tarantino
10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
here's mine:

244400 244401

i didn't place the 90 elbow back far enough on the 120* portion of the baffle plate. on other units i've made, i've done that and it improves the performance. i used a drywall compound bucket and lid. good seal when installed on the bucket.

Ken Kimbrell
10-30-2012, 4:05 PM
On mine the 5 gal bucket needed to be emptied several times a day if it was being used on the lathe, so I went up to a full sized trash can and placed the whole works on a cart so that it could be moved from one machine to another as needed.

Matt Meiser
10-30-2012, 5:35 PM
When the Wood Whisperer did a test on mini cyclones, the ClearVue bucket didn't hold its shape. Have they fixed that?

This would just be catching miter saw debris so it wouldn't fill 5 gallons that fast, but it looks like you lose 1/2 the capacity to the baffle--may mean rethinking the plan. I'll buy an Oneida before going to a big can. Or just buy the high dollar reusable Festool bag.

Tom Ewell
10-30-2012, 8:00 PM
I did a "top hat" version of the Thien setup, it sits on top of a mud bucket with 2 1/2" hose use it for my drill press
Also did same for main collector with 6" duct.
Collected this info from his site, (will have to go out to the shop for actual pix of the things).
This is a sandwich type uses threaded rod and plastic (plexi, etc) to actually form the unit.
Setup with a router and circle jig and do a couple at a time.
Pertinent info can be had with additional search at Thiens' site.

The little one is top heavy, thus the attachment to the cabinet
The big one sits down below, the trash can drops down to empty (one of these days I do need to put on those sweep 90's)

Carl Beckett
10-30-2012, 8:24 PM
When the Wood Whisperer did a test on mini cyclones, the ClearVue bucket didn't hold its shape. Have they fixed that?This would just be catching miter saw debris so it wouldn't fill 5 gallons that fast, but it looks like you lose 1/2 the capacity to the baffle--may mean rethinking the plan. I'll buy an Oneida before going to a big can. Or just buy the high dollar reusable Festool bag.Mine came with two different buckets. But I don't know why. It runs off a ridged '6hp' shop vac and hasn't given me any problems.

Joseph Tarantino
10-30-2012, 8:44 PM
When the Wood Whisperer did a test on mini cyclones, the ClearVue bucket didn't hold its shape. Have they fixed that?

This would just be catching miter saw debris so it wouldn't fill 5 gallons that fast, but it looks like you lose 1/2 the capacity to the baffle--may mean rethinking the plan. I'll buy an Oneida before going to a big can. Or just buy the high dollar reusable Festool bag.

no 1/2, but almost 1/3. however, the dust can be collected to just about the bottom of the baffle, so a miter saw should take a while to fill it to that point.

Bruce Wrenn
10-30-2012, 9:09 PM
no 1/2, but almost 1/3. however, the dust can be collected to just about the bottom of the baffle, so a miter saw should take a while to fill it to that point.Loss of can capacity is why I built the first "Top Hat" design. Even labeled it "top hat" as that's what it looked like. Another advantage to "top hat" design is the option for a side inlet which reduces over all height. Google "Another Vote for Phil Thien's baffle