PDA

View Full Version : What have I got here?

David Hollman
10-29-2012, 2:22 PM
Hello...

I recently got a used lathe which came with a threaded attachment I am not familiar with. No surprise there, being new to wood turning! But I wasn't able to find a similar picture on Google etc.

This thing seems to be threaded to go ON to the LEFT, e.g., for an outboard operation.

What is it called? What kind of work is it used for?

Thanks!

Tim Rinehart
10-29-2012, 2:27 PM
Just a guess...but perhaps for a sanding disc.

Don Nicholas
10-29-2012, 2:46 PM
With another washer it could be used for a buffing wheel or a leather honing wheel. Not sure what is called other than "handy"

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-29-2012, 3:30 PM
It's an arbor meant to mount a grinding wheel or buffing wheel to your lathe. Yours is missing one of the cupped washers. The inside threads are probably 1" x 8 tpi. I have the same one in my basket of tools I never use any more. When I had a lathe it fit I had a 6" diameter x 1/4" thick grinding wheel mounted on it. It was great for shaping custom shaper or router bits. Of course, with no shroud around it, it was a bit dangerous. Funny you make me think of it. 20 years ago, my lathe only ran when I needed to grind something.
faust

David Hollman
10-29-2012, 6:57 PM
Thanks for all the useful input. I do think its 8 TPI, that's a good (educated) guess. Glad to hear, actually, about some of these other uses for a lathe!

Dave

Jim Burr
10-29-2012, 7:54 PM
I'd jump at a MT2, assuming that fits your needs, to screw into the back of that device. Lot's of opportunities!

Mike Cruz
10-30-2012, 8:29 AM
What have you got there? What you've got here is...failure to communicate.:D Sounds like you got your answer, thought I'd just say what came to mind when I read the title...