PDA

View Full Version : North Bennett Street School

Jim Rimmer
10-29-2012, 1:48 PM
I saw a short story on one of the national news programs about the North Bennett Street School. I didn't know they covered so many different crafts. Nice story but too short.

Roger Myers
10-30-2012, 9:33 PM
Hi Jim,
I retired from my job in December and started the full time program in Furniture at North Benett in September. This is a 2 year program with about 40 people in the program, across the four semesters. There are 8 in the semester that started in September. Total enrollment at the school across all the programs is around 150 or 160, and there are several different workshop programs as well. The school is focused on traditional hand crafts and in addition to the cabinet and furniture making, there is Jewelry, carpentry, preservation carpentry, locksmithing, bookbinding, violin making, and piano technology. Another interesting video produced by the school can be seen on the school website nbss.edu, and there are several more you can find by searching on you tube.
The school is an amazing place to spend every day, and I am so blessed to be able to do so. If you ever make it out this way, you should take a look at it.
Roger

Jim Rimmer
10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Roger:

I had heard about and seen article on NBSS before but was not aware of the jewelery, bookbinding etc. I would love to have the time and $$ to go there. However, even though I've been doing woodwork all my life, I am somewhat intimidated by schools that have such standing as NBSS and am not sure I could even qualify as a beginner there. :eek: I'm going to check out ther site and some of the videos. Places like that intrugue me.

Don Jarvie
10-31-2012, 1:03 PM
I took one of the workshops there last winter, Fundamentals of Fine Wwing, which taught sharpening, planing and chisels dovetails and mortice and tenon over 10 Saturdays. I had no clue how to do any of these things but am now pretty good. There were about 10 people in the class from real beginners to decent wood workers. You really wouldn't feel intimidated because most people are in the same boat in that they have some skills but want to learn more. They do have week long workshops that you could consider taking if you have the vacation time. As for the cost, I paid 1150.00 for 10 Saturdays or 115 per 8 hours. Woodcraft or Rockler charge 89.00 for 3 hours and there is no comparison. I wish I could do the full time program like Roger but life gets in the way.

Jim Matthews
10-31-2012, 5:30 PM
The quality work that comes out of this program is astounding.

Did the intake orientation warn people about the limited job opportunities?
I understood that only the locksmithing group has ready placement for graduates.

Don Jarvie
10-31-2012, 8:27 PM
Most go work on their own so you need to drum up the work to survive. The guy who taught my workshop is getting by and supplementing his income teaching at the school.

Roger Myers
11-02-2012, 5:49 PM
The quality work that comes out of this program is astounding.

Did the intake orientation warn people about the limited job opportunities?
I understood that only the locksmithing group has ready placement for graduates.

As I am already retired and newly committed to my own woodworking business, and well schooled in business and life in general, that wasn't an issue for me. In general, the school is open and honest and paints realistic expectations. That said, employment post graduation statistics are pretty good (nobody is getting rich making furniture, but they are working). The school also begins to forward information and commission opportunities to students immediately. And furniture makers participate in relevant shows, for example Providence Fine Furnishings (I will be there tomorrow morning). I know many NBSS graduates and like any field, those that work hard, apply themselves, and set high standards generally do well. There will always be some who struggle a lot...sometimes unavoidable, many times they may need to reflect on why.
Roger

Jim Matthews
11-03-2012, 9:39 AM
Are you showing at the Providence event(Pawtuxet Armory)?

Some of the small tables are exquisitely made.
I particularly like the hall table with floating top, out front.

If you can attend have a look at the RISD display, some of the bent-lam constructions are genuinely inventive.