PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a cnc to me

David Warkentin
10-28-2012, 9:12 PM
Which cnc should I get? Assume I am never making more than this one object but will need to make hundreds (hopefully) over the next few years. Object is 3/4" thick and approximately 3.5" across and round. I have to hollow out most of the inside. I have made these turkey pot calls on my lathe but am looking for something a little more automated. I would like to keep the cost down and will probably use my colt trim router in this or something similar. Speed isn't too big of an issue...

I know some will probably say to buy a big commercial unit but remember this decision assumes all I will ever use this machine for is these little pots.

Dana Decker
10-29-2012, 12:21 AM
the two with the best support forums are CAMaster and Shopbot. I have a CAMaster Stinger I and for the size 25" X 36" workspace it to me seemed to be the best buy for your buck, Its put together comes, welded steel frames, with a computer and software does everything I need. Buy one of the top brands and you should be ok. Several people have bought chinese ones and they worked, others say they make a good boat anchor so 50, 50 on those I guess.
Pick your price you want to spend and see what is in the price range then wait, save a little more and get a better one. I have only had my Stinger so it is all I know about.

Dana

james mcgrew
10-29-2012, 7:35 AM
if it is to have a long term use, expansion and resale value then give the camaster stinger 1 a good look,

Jerome Stanek
10-29-2012, 7:38 AM
The Shopbot desktop is also a good unit. It also comes put together and is very accurate.

David Warkentin
10-29-2012, 8:18 AM
Really I wanted to keep this purchase at $4,000 or preferably less. And I don't want to build it myself. Thanks for the replies so far.

gary l roberts
10-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Then try a shark from Rockler.

Shane Sura
10-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I doubt you can find much in the way of purchase for 4k or less. You could get the shark though I have not heard a lot of positives about it. Laguna IQ is a possibility but it is clearly 1k more than you want to spend. Heck even some home built kits are more than $4k. How accurate does this need to be? A potential would be one of the Chinese 6040 machines you see on ebay. They are made from aluminum which is what steered me away from them but I know some members here use them for PCBs so they have to be accurate. I currently have a Joe's that I am going to sell to upgrade to a CAMASTER. Primarily because I hate all the tinkering and I just want it to work. If you are one of those types of people I suggest opening up the check book a bit and at least look at the Laguna.

David Warkentin
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I actually was thinking about the shark. Or something similar.

Shane Sura
10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Checking out the Shark again it looks like they have upgraded it a bit. The PRO HD package gets you up and running with Vcarve Pro included which is nice. You do have to supply your own router so it is going to be a couple of hundred over 4k not counting if you need a dedicated computer. I would also factor in addition $$ for hold downs and the touch plate. But check it out live if you can it looks like a good machine but videos can be deceiving.

gary l roberts
10-29-2012, 1:29 PM
Owned a shark. Now I have a desktop bot. Shark has/does have a few problems (mostly flat table issues) but they can be worked out especially if you buy a small shark. The old adage of you get what you pay for holds true for CNC's. I will say I paid for my shark with in the first year. Will confess to loving my bot.

Mike Konobeck
10-29-2012, 2:33 PM
Romaxx makes a nice smaller format machine for about your budget. Every now and then he puts one up on eBay for a pretty good deal. The Shark was one at the top of my list for the longest time before I got serious. The more and more research I did the more I realized it is not going to suit my needs long term so I ended up building one. I would have ended up with the Romaxx if the table size would have been a bit larger.

David Warkentin
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I have been thinking about this and am seriously considering a Camaster Stinger 1. In fact, if I like their price and I can get my wife on board I will most likely order one. Which options should I get with it? James, do you have some recommendations on this for me?

james mcgrew
10-31-2012, 1:44 PM
I am on the highway, ask this on camheads.org there is a stinger owners section

David Warkentin
10-31-2012, 2:26 PM
I hope you don't get run over! :). We need your knowledge around yet. I did register there but haven't posted yet. Just been reading.

Keith Outten
10-31-2012, 6:21 PM
David,

I own a Stinger II and I am very happy with the machine. You can't beat a CNC Router that has a welded frame.

Since you are looking to keep the price down buy your Stinger with a PC 3.25 HP router instead of a spindle.
I really like Wincnc but you can save money by purchasing the Mach3 controller. Wincnc will make your life a bit easier if you can swing the extra money.
Probably 99% of the people who already own CNC Routers wil tell you that your plans for the machine will expand big time once you own one.

james mcgrew
10-31-2012, 7:07 PM
made it home !! thanks did not get hit today !! if you go stinger go wincnc,, there are very few owners with mach and the magic is in the support !!

David Warkentin
10-31-2012, 8:06 PM
I think I have decided on the Stinger 1 with FTC and upgrade to Vcarve Pro. And I will use WinCnc. What do you think?

Ernie Martinez
10-31-2012, 8:13 PM
I just bought the Laguna IQ. $6500 thereabouts gets you a machine with a water cooled spindle (very quiet) and a dedicated controller (no PC or windows to deal with) Mine included VCarve Pro. It came shipped in a very nice crate, and is super easy to use, I was able to figure out Vcarve pro, create a sign with multiple profiles, output the GCode for the supported post procerssor, and making saw dust in about an hour. Solid cast iron base (500 lbs) ballscrews on all axis's and over all well built.

Only issue was the controller box. When I stodd it up I heard a clunck inside. When I opened it, the Z amplifier was not mounted, and the fit and finish on the box was less than ideal, purely cosmetic, but ticked me off a bit since I was expecting a shiny new machine. The company made it right with me by giving me a dust collector. Overall it works great, comes with a set of MDF spoil boards ( just need to figure out how to fly cut it) which can be easily replaced when they're shot.

I really do like the dedicated controller concept, just output your Gcode (via pre-processor in VCarve) to a thumb drive and then insert it into the hand controller. I work in comfort in the office, and no PC in the shop. So far works great. I also like the auto tool touch off, very easy to use.

james mcgrew
10-31-2012, 9:28 PM
This is an excellent choice, wincnc is worth the extra bucks !

David Warkentin
11-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I faxed in my order! I am looking forward to going to camaster and picking it up.