PDA

View Full Version : Jorgensen I-Bar Clamps - a bit of luck

Mike Henderson
10-28-2012, 6:04 PM
While I was walking my dog, Skipper, yesterday morning, I came to a house where they were setting up for a garage sale. I started talking with the guy about Skipper and his preparations for the garage sale. I normally don't even look at garage sales because I don't need any more "stuff". But just for curiosity, I walked up the driveway to see what they were selling. There were four Jorgensen I-bar clamps, three 36" and one 24". They were in sad shape but clamps are clamps. So I asked the guy how much he wanted for them and he asked $10 for the four. I gave him the $10 and told him I'd come back with my car.

I took the clamps apart and soaked them in rust remover, then painted the parts. The clamps are pretty well worn - they may have come from a school - but they work fine.

So here's the finished product - four clamps at $2.50 each.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
10-28-2012, 6:09 PM
I would say you got great bargain Mike!

Sam Layton
10-28-2012, 6:30 PM
Looks good to me. At $2.50 each, how can you go wrong. Always use more clamps.

Sam

Mike Henderson
10-28-2012, 7:02 PM
I can understand why the Bessey clamps (and others) have aluminum bars instead of steel. Those Jorgensen clamps are HEAVY. If you had a glue-up with a bunch of those clamps, it'd be difficult to move. But they're strong. I've used them at school and you can really crank down on them, if you want to.

Mike

Jim Andrew
10-28-2012, 7:14 PM
Menards was closing out their I beam Jorgenson's, and I got the last 2 24". Wish I had been there a week earlier. But compared to the old ones I remember, the new ones are much less heavy. Don't have any old ones, just the 2 new ones. Been buying the Cabinet Masters, like them, but could have used a bunch of the I beams.

Stephen Cherry
10-28-2012, 7:33 PM
Yardsales can give the best possible deals. Yesterday I got a lightly used kenmore front load washing machine for a big 65 dollars (looks just like whirlpool duet). My most memorable woodworking deal was a ece primus hand plane, with a stanley block plane for 22 dollars. The primus plane cuts very well where others tear out.

Peter Quinn
10-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Nice deal Mike. THose Jorgies are the toughest long clamps period. More clamping pressure than any other. I agree on the weight. I once glued up a passage door with 11 of these clamps, cleaned out the squeeze from the first side only to realize I couldn't flip the door over to clean the other side! I had to crawl under it after propping it up, all the while worrying it would fall and crush me. I now subscribe to the less is more theory of clamp placement.

Enjoy that find