PDA

View Full Version : Mug Paint fill

David Rust
10-28-2012, 4:26 PM
All,

I engraved a porcelain mug and then paint filled.
Engraved at 40/100/300
I used basic masking tape, engraved through it, painted it, and peeled. The paint doesn't seem to hold very well, I used basic Rust-Oleum indoor/outdoor enamel.
What do you guys use for paint and for engraver settings?

It took ~1min to engrave, so I would charge ~$2 including the paint if I can get good and durable results... comments??
Thanks!

Ronald Erickson
10-28-2012, 4:53 PM
Isn't the accent over the "e" backwards? It should be "acute" like Café rather than "grave" like Cafè. Try holding the ALT key + type 0233 on the keypad. When you release the ALT key, it should insert an é. (I don't have that font but that's the correct letter in Arial.)

Otherwise I think it looks good. I can't comment on the paint durability, but I'm sure someone else has had good luck with painting a glazed/etched surface.

David Rust
10-28-2012, 5:25 PM
Ron... Great catch!!! thanks... I didn't notice because there was only one accent in the font group. I corrected the cdr file by grouping " Caf ' " and ' e ' after I pushed them together to get the right spacing. Weird that the font aka "Present" has accents both ways for the letter 'a' but only one slant direction for the 'e'... anyways, all fixed... thanks for your attention to detail!!!!!

edit: can't spell :)

Scott Shepherd
10-28-2012, 6:01 PM
The paint is going to come off in the wash.

AL Ursich
10-28-2012, 7:36 PM
Very Nice.

Question? Seeing the ALT Key made me think about a key stroke I need for a future sign job. I need the "o" for Degrees. Does anyone know the key stroke for that? Thanks, AL

Gary Hair
10-28-2012, 8:49 PM
Very Nice.

Question? Seeing the ALT Key made me think about a key stroke I need for a future sign job. I need the "o" for Degrees. Does anyone know the key stroke for that? Thanks, AL

alt 0176 will give you the degree sign

Ronald Erickson
10-28-2012, 8:52 PM
Alt + 0176 = ° (It's a balmy 41°F out in MN this evening).

You can see the list of character mappings for any fonts you have installed through:
Start...Programs...Accessories...System Tools...Character Map (Windows 7). I believe XP has it under Accessories rather than under System Tools, but it's been a long time since I've used XP.

Braden Todd
10-28-2012, 11:45 PM
When I need to paint fill I always go to Montana Gold or One Shot paint. Montana comes in a spray can and one shot is for an airbrush set up. Also I have heard great things about lithochrome paint for stone, but it runs around $70 a spray can.

Good luck!

Mike Null
10-29-2012, 8:49 AM
I think your price is at least 50% too low.

Martin Boekers
10-29-2012, 9:41 AM
Some here use Cermark for glass for a durable mark, you have to apply it so you don't need to mask it.

Sublimation is more geared for mugs, but you have a limited choices unless you have someone do a coating run.

Brian Terry
10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I have had great success with rub n buff. I have put it on mugs which go in the dishwasher and microwave.

Glen Monaghan
10-29-2012, 10:40 AM
I tried rub n buff on an engraved knife handle and it was terrible, picked up grime and rubbed back out of the engraving with handling. Hard to think of it holding up to a dishwasher since it's a waxy substance...

-Glen

Brian Terry
10-29-2012, 4:03 PM
surprised me too but I have some that are over a year old.

David Rust
10-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the responses... And thank you Mike, being new I am still trying to figure out the quagmire of pricing...
I am going to show the customer the mug and if he is interested I'll invest in a bottle of Cermark... I've never used Cermark, it seems to be straight forward, apply, dry, laser, clean... However I am always reading about people having issues with it. I'd love to mess around with it but for the price I need to get a job order before buying it. Who usually has the best price on this stuff?