PDA

View Full Version : christmas ornaments

Robert Culver
10-28-2012, 4:23 PM
Ok so i want to make some christmas ornaments for gifts this year. i dont want to laminated them i want just a one piece blank? fancy or not cause i could alway paint them any idea where i could find blanks?

Paul Williams
10-28-2012, 5:26 PM
Robert, almost any wood will work. Last year Imade a bunch out of 2x2 cherry I bought from the local lumber yard. It was sold as stair ballisters.
for the wings I used 1/8 inch plywood from the local craft store. They werewell recieved.

Robert Culver
10-28-2012, 5:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTGBIRewSyc&feature=channel&list=UL

im thinking of something more like this... thanks paul it seems a little larger than 2 inches???

Bill Bulloch
10-28-2012, 6:26 PM
If I am understanding you right you want to make an ornament in one piece, not a three piece ornament (Ornament and top and bottom finials). If this is the case you will not be able to hollow the ornament, so to keep it from being two heavy you will need a light weight piece of wood. I'm thinking something like Cedar, white pine or Spanish Cedar. Since you are talking about painting it you might try a white pine 2 x 4. At least that would be something to practice on, before buying the more expensive woods.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2012, 8:08 PM
I got a DVD from Larry Hasiak in Florida at a demo in Richmond. He demo'd how to do a one piece ornament which is totally hollowed to 1/8" or so. The key is to turn the basic ball form then take a thin parting tool at a 45* angle and cut right at the middle at that angle about a 1/4" deep. Widen it slightly then cut straight thru. Hollow each side making sure you don't touch the rim where you cut at the 45* angle and then glue back together and finish turning your finial and top. You can cut some lines and burn to hide the cut but if you are good enough no one will even see it. I use 3 x 3 stock and make sure it is kiln dried.

Jim Underwood
10-28-2012, 9:57 PM
I know a guy here in Georgia who has been making these one piece ornaments out of 2x4s. Gets his stock cheap from scrap off of building lots or beside the road. Sells 'em too. Material would be cheap and lightweight. You might Google "Mark Sillay Ornaments" and hit on something.

Robert Culver
10-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I would be turning it in a 3 piece like is shown in the video it seem as though I would want to start with a 3x3 blank .i can find it in green wood pretty easy but im thinking i would need to do these in K/D since i want to give them out this christmas?i have lots of wood that i could use for finials but not the actual globe.