PDA

View Full Version : How-To

Michelle Rich
10-28-2012, 4:06 PM
So many of you have asked for a tutorial oh how I make my designs on the lathe. I have resisted doing so, as it can be dangerous and I want no one to get hurt. I decided to share how to make a design I called Spider, as it is not done too eccentrically and most folks can do this one.
I just posted a very quick & dirty explanation on how to make one type of my negative space designs over on Lumberjocks. It's in the today's projects page. I have dial-up so I'd appreciate that I only have to post this once & you speedy internet folks can go to LJ's to see it
Hope this helps. Good luck, Michelle

Ronald Campbell
10-28-2012, 4:31 PM
Michelle thanks for sharing. Went there to take a look and it is interesting. It will be awhile before I try this. Ron

Peter Blair
10-28-2012, 5:01 PM
HI Michelle, Thanks, I had been pondering your process for quite a while but didn't want to pry.

Your work is very inspiring, I may try that one one time and I may even try it with my new Router set-up that I completed today.

Michelle Rich
10-28-2012, 5:21 PM
Hi Peter..I think your router set up would work ok, tho it will be hard to index your cuts. Using a parting tool & by eye is amazingy accurate once one does it a bit. Good luck with your new set up.. I will wait to see where you take it.

Scott Lux
10-29-2012, 7:17 AM
You are very generous to share this. Although I have to admit I'm not brave enough to try one :D.

Michelle Rich
10-29-2012, 8:36 AM
gird your loins and put on your battle gear Scott..the offset is very small, one inch. it's not scary at all. (throwing a 10-12 inch piece offset 9-10 inches, now that is scary. It sounds like an airplane propeller. I shared this, because it is relatively safe to do and not scary.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2012, 9:48 AM
Thanks for sharing Michelle.

Doug Herzberg
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Michelle. I'll store that away in the memory hole and hope I can find it again when.

Tim Rinehart
10-29-2012, 1:38 PM
Just read thru it earlier today, succinct enough for someone to try...but I'd not expect anyone to create at same level of you for sometime. Newly found knowledge is one thing...experience and bag of tricks is another!

John Altberg
10-30-2012, 7:21 AM
I am not finding this on Lumberjocks. What is the easiest way to do so?

Michelle Rich
10-30-2012, 9:12 AM
go to projects page & go back probably 8 pages or so by now.. or search for Michelletwo and you should find it.

paul vechart
10-30-2012, 5:41 PM
Michelle...thanks for sharing. I will give it a try soon as it does sound safe to me. Here is the link to your project if people can't find it.

Paul

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/73381

Peter Blair
10-30-2012, 5:53 PM
Hi again Michelle.
I guess I'll just have to get to it.
One thing that still puzzles me a little is how you hold the 1/2" bolt. Do you just grip it in a scroll chuck? It would seem to me that it might not seat properly and could 'wobble' a bit if it isn't 'just so'.

Michelle Rich
10-30-2012, 6:17 PM
Peter:I'm using small jaws on a G3 ..any spigot/dovetail that will hold 1/2 inch will do. If you can't grip 1/2 go to a larger size bolt. Won't hurt a thing, just to try it.

Michelle Rich
10-30-2012, 6:18 PM
Paul: thanks so much for the link..I have no clue as how to do that.

Peter Blair
10-30-2012, 6:46 PM
Thanks Michelle. I may get a chance to try it tomorrow.

bernard feinerman
11-02-2012, 5:59 PM
Hello Michelle,

Thanks for the tutorial you posted to Lumberjock's. I will try my hand at it soon.
You wrote in an earlier post that you had posted some info on negative space a long time ago. Could you provide some clues (date, title, ??) I could use to search the archives for it?
Bernie F.