PDA

View Full Version : BIG, BIG cabinet almost finished

William C Rogers
10-28-2012, 7:48 AM
???? Pictures are not working, must have exceeded a size limit. Will try to post pictures later today. Looked ok in preview

I am "almost" done with my laundry room cabinets. As you can see I built one huge pantry cabinet. It is 6 foot wide by 8 foot tall and 24 inches deep and built as a single cabinet. There are four 32 inch pull outs on each side. The drawers are 12 inches and there are two 18 inch tall top cabinets. FF are 2 inches and I used a 1/2 overlay. Rails are 3 inches and stiles are 2 3/8. There are no center post in any of the cabinets, and I was very happy with the fit of less than 1/32 gap. I used maple for all the construction including the drawers. The drawers are 5/8 dovetail construction done with the Incra LS and the pull outs are 3/4 with 1/2 ply bottom. The sink base has a tip out. The cabinet with the full length drawer pulled out will be next to the washer for laundry supplies. There are two upper cabinets. I used Somerfield tongue and groove method for all the cabinets except the face frame which is pocket hole. Right now all of these are just dry clamped together except for the one base with the red face frame. I built that one first just to understand how to build and see what the finish would look like and will finish with that color. Next will be to take apart, sand, finish and re-assemble as final. I won't put these back together with doors and pullouts until the new house is built in about 6-10 months. This is why I posted these pictures now. But first I need to clean the workshop. Then I will start the kitchen cabinets and finally the two bath vanities. For the kitchen I will use African Mahogany, 1 1/2 face frame and 1 1/4 overlay. The kitchen has a island, but nothing like the big cabinet. I have that design. Still need to finalize the bath vanities design.

And oh yes, I did make sure I could get the big cabinet in the laundry room and stand it up. I will have 9 foot ceilings and standing up will give me 3 inches clearance.

Bill

Carl Beckett
10-28-2012, 8:10 AM
These links/attachments aren't working for me....

David Nelson1
10-28-2012, 8:52 AM
Looking forward to seeing the pics as well.

William C Rogers
10-28-2012, 5:56 PM
let's see if this works for pictures

I am "almost" done with my laundry room cabinets. As you can see I built one huge pantry cabinet. It is 6 foot wide by 8 foot tall and 24 inches deep and built as a single cabinet. There are four 32 inch pull outs on each side. The drawers are 12 inches and there are two 18 inch tall top cabinets. FF are 2 inches and I used a 1/2 overlay. Rails are 3 inches and stiles are 2 3/8. There are no center post in any of the cabinets, and I was very happy with the fit of less than 1/32 gap. I used maple for all the construction including the drawers. The drawers are 5/8 dovetail construction done with the Incra LS and the pull outs are 3/4 with 1/2 ply bottom. The sink base has a tip out. The cabinet with the full length drawer pulled out will be next to the washer for laundry supplies. There are two upper cabinets. I used Somerfield tongue and groove method for all the cabinets except the face frame which is pocket hole. Right now all of these are just dry clamped together except for the one base with the red face frame. I built that one first just to understand how to build and see what the finish would look like and will finish with that color. Next will be to take apart, sand, finish and re-assemble as final. I won't put these back together with doors and pullouts until the new house is built in about 6-10 months. This is why I posted these pictures now. But first I need to clean the workshop. Then I will start the kitchen cabinets and finally the two bath vanities. For the kitchen I will use African Mahogany, 1 1/2 face frame and 1 1/4 overlay. The kitchen has a island, but nothing like the big cabinet. I have that design. Still need to finalize the bath vanities design.

The one upper cabinet I tried to put the stain on the edges before assembly. I assembled these doors, but made a sample. When I stained the entire door you could see the outline of the initial stain. I'll just use a paint brush and force the stain in the edges.

And oh yes, I did make sure I could get the big cabinet in the laundry room and stand it up. I will have 9 foot ceilings and standing up will give me 3 inches clearance.

Bill

scott vroom
10-28-2012, 6:24 PM
Bill, great job! Man, you weren't kidding about BIG! I hope you have a couple of helpers to move that beast....oh my aching back :)

Carl Beckett
10-28-2012, 6:55 PM
Great cabinet!

This is interesting - my first thought would have been to build this as a built-in. Wouldnt have thought to build it separately, but certainly easier to work on sitting in the shop.

Very functional, its going to be pretty satisfying to use....

johnny means
10-28-2012, 8:26 PM
Did you leave yourself the option of disassembly? Just in case. Sometimes, we forget that corner or that turn that needs to be made on the way in. DAMHIK. I once had to watch a client have his crew hoist a $15,000 bed up the side of his house onto the balcony because I misjudged the turn on a landing.

BTW, nice job. I really like the scale.

Mel Fulks
10-28-2012, 9:50 PM
Scale is good ! Self storage is big business now.You are going to be very successful !

Jeff Heil
10-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Very nice! Can I ask what you used for hardware on the pullouts and drawers? Do you plan to put laundry baskets or some other specific items in the large lower drawers? I really like your doors!

Jeff

David Nelson1
10-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Outstanding work!! just hope you don't have to go up or down hill! :D

William C Rogers
10-29-2012, 4:19 PM
First off the laundry room has a service door 36" X 6'8" and there are no hills to speak of. It would also have access through the front door then the kitchen entry door. The laundry room will be a 12 X24 room so more than enough room. For the pull outs and the drawers I used KV8400 side mounts rated at 100lb. Kinda of a "hardware" gloat as I got 14 pair off CL for $20 total brand new in packages. If I were buying I probably used the same thing as don't need soft close on pull outs. I don't know what will be in the bottom drawers. Still needed a step ladder building in the shop. One of the biggest challenges was making sure the FF was square when assembling it. Second was doing the dovetails on the Incra. I have solved both of these issues. I am not building one that big for the kitchen and I bought a Leigh Jig for the dovetails.

Bill

Jeff Heil
10-29-2012, 10:42 PM
I would gloat about the deal on the drawer guides, that is a great deal! Do you think the KV8400 work okay on the wide pullouts? I am doing a pantry for our new house with pullouts that will be 36" wide and was debating between the 8400 or the "lateral file" rated KV 8505s. I would value your opinion as the the suitability of the 8400s on the pullouts.

Jeff

William C Rogers
10-30-2012, 5:44 PM
Jeff

I am by no means any expert on drawer slides. The kv8400 are for drawers up to 24 inches wide. So I knew I was am pushing the envelope with 32 in, but they seem sturdy enough for the pull outs as they are only 4 inches tall. I know I won't overload them. Pulling out there is some side to side, probably why they are rated for 24 in wide. I did use shims on the slides (making the width smaller) to get the best feel on the pullouts. Not that bad and should function fine for me. There is a tremendous cost difference between the 8400 and 8505s. If I had four or less drawers I would get the 8505s for 36 in drawers. If I had 10 like I did I would probably get a set of 8400 and try it. Hopefully there are others with more experience that can give advice.

Bill

Jeff Heil
10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I appreciate your perspective and agree the 8400s should work for your purpose, especially in a laundry room that won't see as much heavy use like a kitchen or pantry pullout. I will have 8 drawers that are >32", many are 8-9" tall in my kitchen project. I think I will spend the extra to get the 8505s, I am looking at $20.77 for the 8455FMs and $40.82 for the 8505s, but the cost isn't huge in the bigger picture. I also am saving dramatically over having custom cabinets built, so the cost is easier to justify. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Jeff