PDA

View Full Version : SawStop ICS Insert Flex/Tipping Issue

Jim C Martin
10-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Hello All:
Anyone else dealt with the insert issue described by David Malicky in this thread? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189626-Sawstop-Which-Version-Industrial-or-Professional?
I was working with some thin stock this evening and encountered the same issue. The right side of the insert flexes down. Seems to be more a tipping issue than a a flexing issue because holding down the front right corner eliminates the issue. I thought maybe I could adjust the hold down mechanism but I can't see any adjustment. No obvious solution in the manual.
Any other solutions than building a JB Weld shelf as described by David Malicky?
Thanks,
Jim

Mike Heidrick
10-28-2012, 12:23 AM
My ICS does not have the latch bar - it uses a button head cap screw to screw the front down. I have no issues with tipping at all and don't see how I could. There are two screws that keep the rear captured and two CI shoulders that keep the front flush with adjustment screws. Maybe there has been a design change. Ive had mine since 2006 and its been perfect. I have had super thin cuts fall into the slot but that slot is soo much thinner than my Delta saw was. Only thing to make it better is to use a true ZCI.

Steven Hsieh
10-28-2012, 12:35 AM
I am finding the same problem when Im cutting grooves

It tends to tip into the gap.

If your doing straight cut, not angle. I would use the zero clearance insert.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30975

Jim C Martin
10-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks Mike. Pretty sure I just fixed it by bending the latch a bit.
Cheers,
Jim

Mike Heidrick
10-28-2012, 9:00 AM
Sorry I have not used the latch myself - only seen one at a Rockler distributor. The CI ears it clamps around has to be a great spot for the latch but latch spacing/pressure would have to be correct for it to seat all the time at the bottom of the lowering of the latch. The screw down system of my older saw is slower but you would almost have more adjustment on pressure. Almost wonder if a front pressure foot or the side adjustment screws would work to adjust the lever over time. Or just bend it :)