PDA

View Full Version : Question on mounting bell type ornaments.........

Roger Chandler
10-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I attempted to turn two bell ornaments today........both ended up broken. I had issues with both getting them mounted .......I had to start out between centers and then one I used pin jaws in my chuck, and the other I just jam chucked after hollowing out the bell in order to do the handle, but with tail stock pressure from a live center, the little handle just broke off.

For those of you who have successfully turned a bell type ornament.........what did you use to mount it on the lathe and what was your sequence for turning the outside and hollowing the bell portion? Any pointers would be appreciated!

Michelle Rich
10-28-2012, 5:51 AM
with no picture, I'm guessing you tried to turn it in one piece? Maybe turn the bell & handle seperately?

Thom Sturgill
10-28-2012, 6:48 AM
I have only made one and did as Michelle suggested. To turn a one piece bell I would do as I do for my goblets (and I have several of them):
1) Turn stock round between centers and make a tenon
2) Mount tenon in chuck and turn most of the ouside of the bell portion (with tailstock in place)
3) Remove tailstock, hollow and finish sand the inside of the bell. I sometimes use a steady for this process depending on length and how secure the chuck feels.
4) Mount a Jamb block in bell and hold it with tailstock - LIGHT PRESSURE just to keep bell from wobbling. Cutoff from previous goblet with center mark and tenon works great, just turn it to fit snugly but not tight in the bell.
5) Turn rest of bell and handle working from tailstock toward chuck
6) Part off.

Only difference is I would turn a ball on the chuck end instead of a goblet base.

Richard Madden
10-28-2012, 7:15 AM
I probably won't be much help since I haven't turned a bell ornament in one piece, but I would guess you might have had too much pressure from the tailstock. In that spiral finial tutorial I did, I forgot to mention that important point of backing off the pressure of the tailstock when things are getting thin and fragile. I think either way you tried would work (pin jaws or jamb chuck), but just use the live center for support...not pressure. Good luck.

Richard Jones
10-28-2012, 8:07 AM
I make mine from two pieces. Easier, allows you to use smaller offcuts, easier, allows for some contrasting woods if you desire, easier, and allows you to do some decorative work on the handle portion, a la Larry Marley. Even real bells aren't made from one piece, so it's actually more traditional with two pieces, and much easier..........

Did I mention easier? :D

Check out Curt Fuller's and Carole Valentine's bells over at the WC ornament section...............

Tom Winship
10-28-2012, 8:16 AM
Roger,
Haven't made one, but Curt Fuller has a tutorial
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173171-Making-the-bell-ornaments
That is the way I would do it.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2012, 9:42 AM
Roger I make mine pretty much like Curt in two pieces. Much easier.

Mike Peace
10-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I am with Richard and Bernie. Two pieces is so much easier and I believe makes for a nicer ornament due to the contrasting wood. My approach is similar to Curt Fuller's.

Roger Chandler
10-28-2012, 1:19 PM
A great big thank you to all of you! I appreciate you input and Curt did send me a PM with his tutorial on a link.......blessings! :)

Larry Marley
10-28-2012, 1:35 PM
I agree that two piece bells are easier to turn, but one piece bells can be turned the same way a goblet is done.
Held in a chuck, turn from the bell (tail stock side) to the handle (head stock side). Hollow and shape the exterior of the bell, finish sand, before removing material for the handle.
When you are done with the bell, then start work on the handle. Once you start the handle, don’t go back to the bell.
You can stabilize the turning by using a cone shaped live center to lightly hold the bell. I use a wooden cone that fits my live center if the turning starts to wobble or chatter.
A sharp tool also helps.

Larry

Tom Winship
10-28-2012, 2:31 PM
For you guys that build them, do you actually put a small bell inside?

Curt Fuller
10-28-2012, 6:37 PM
For you guys that build them, do you actually put a small bell inside?

I've tried several things to make the bells ring. But none have been very effective. The small bells will make a little tinkle sound but they also thud against the wood. A plain wood clanger gives it the appearance of a bell but again, just a thud. My favorite is to put an eyelet up inside the bell like the the one the bell hangs from and then hang a short string of colorful glass beads strung on a thin wire from that. Still just a thud but it looks kind of nice. The hard part for me is getting up inside the bell with my clubby fingers to attach anything. But usually I don't put anything in the bell.