PDA

View Full Version : SSTs for the computers of modern vehicles?

Stephen Tashiro
10-27-2012, 9:38 PM
Aside from ODB II scanners, what special service tools (SSTs) are used on the computers in modern vehicles?

What brings this to mind is purchasing a 2011 Corolla. It appears to have a problem described by service bulletin TSB-0124-11, which says the computer needs to be reprogrammed. Of course, I intend to have the Toyota dealer do all the work on the car while it is new. There are at least 5 service manuals for the car and the total cost of the printed volumes would be about $1,000. Online access is cheaper, but even that is about $400 per year. I was daydreaming about buying 1 volume of the service manual per year, so by the time the car is well worn, I'd have all the manuals. But if it requires expensive SSTs to deal with the vehicle's computers, maybe I should give up on that plan.

Biff Johnson
10-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I know that with Alldata you can purchase a one car subscription for a year for substantially less. I think they also sell a DVD manual for each specific car.

As far as special tools, there are literally hundreds of Toyota OEM tools, which generally cross over into aftermarket products. I really can't think of a specific thing you should buy until you actually do some repair and in that case you can probably rent the tool.

As far as scan tools, I would recommend purchasing one that allows you to use your laptop or tablet. Likely you wont need the add on sensors and such that scan tools can do and it is far easier and cheaper to update the software on a PC based system.

Stephen Tashiro
10-28-2012, 2:15 AM
I know that with Alldata you can purchase a one car subscription for a year for substantially less. I think they also sell a DVD manual for each specific car.

I've had alldata for my older cars. It gives you the service bulletins, but they had nothing close to the OEM service manual.

As far as special tools, there are literally hundreds of Toyota OEM tools, which generally cross over into aftermarket products. I really can't think of a specific thing you should buy until you actually do some repair and in that case you can probably rent the tool.

Perhaps you are talking about mechanical tools. I'm not worried about being able to get mechanical tools. I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to get computer related tool to do something like reprogram the car's computer.

As far as scan tools, I would recommend purchasing one that allows you to use your laptop or tablet. Likely you wont need the add on sensors and such that scan tools can do and it is far easier and cheaper to update the software on a PC based system.

That's a good idea, but can I find one that works with Linux? (I don't use Windows.) - and, as I said, I'm not worried about the availability of OBD II scanners.

Biff Johnson
10-28-2012, 2:00 PM
Maybe there are different versions of Alldata, most of the Alldata Pro that I use is a carbon copy of the service manual.

I believe that things like reprogramming an ECM/PCM requires an OEM computer. Last shop I worked had a $15k Snap On system and it could do about everything but reprogram OEM functions. Of course, I really think you wouldn't want to delve that deep without knowing exactly what you are doing.

What are you trying to accomplish here? I think spending $100's or $1000's on manuals and diagnostic equipment may be a waste. You wont need all that to perform preventative maintenance and that's where you will save the most money. If you think you are going to start diagnosing in depth problems, that money would probably best be spent at a reputable shop.

I don't know about Linux but I would guess they do since they have ones that work with ios and Androids.

Stephen Tashiro
10-28-2012, 8:50 PM
What are you trying to accomplish here? I think spending $100's or $1000's on manuals and diagnostic equipment may be a waste..

I'm trying to pursue a wasteful hobby - as economically as possible.