PDA

View Full Version : The Aftermath

Kathy Marshall
10-27-2012, 9:08 PM
Got out to the shop this morning and took the DVR on it's maiden voyage.
Since I just wanted to get a feel for it, I just grabbed the first chunk of wood I came across. It just happened to be a leftover section from a little arborvitae log.
Didn't have plans for anything specific, just turned it into and engrain cylinder and started adding some shape.
I thought it was going to end up as just a big mouth hollow form. I'll need to get a new backrest for my hollowing system, so this one would have to be hollowed by hand. Hollowing by hand isn't my favorite thing, it's just so much easier on my wrists and hands to use a captured system.
Once the hollowing was done, I started refining the bottom curve and as I was turning away the waste, I decided to go with a short stem and base so I guess this would just be a short goblet thingy.
Nothing fancy or delicate about it (but it does look better in hand than in the pics), but it fit the wood and I think it's kinda cute.
It's 5" x 4" with a coat of antique oil followed by some lacquer sanding sealer.
Now if you'll excuse me, there's a big, wet, chinese elm blank with my name written all over it!

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Allan Ferguson
10-27-2012, 9:52 PM
I like that. the wood is pretty to. Are your ready to send that new lathe back yet?

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Looking good Kathy and looks like the maiden voyage went well.

Joe Bradshaw
10-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Nice maiden voyage Kathy.

Doug W Swanson
10-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Nice work, Kathy. I like how the piece has 2 different looks going on. Then you can show a different side depending on your mood!

Roger Chandler
10-27-2012, 11:00 PM
So now that you have one form under your belt with this new DVR.........what are your initial impressions of this lathe?

Peter Blair
10-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Congrats on the lathe and the first piece. Looks to me kind of Jekly and Hydeish.

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Nice turning! What do you think of the lathe?

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-28-2012, 2:26 PM
I can't believe you waited until this morning. Building your new lathe and moving the old one must have really wiped you out or you might have stayed up all night turning. Good results. I wish you many years of safe fun with the new lathe.
faust

Kathy Marshall
10-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

I'm really happy with the new lathe, it was worth every penny that I agonized over spending :eek:.

Tim Rinehart
10-29-2012, 1:41 PM
Nice. I take it you like the new toy? This goblet has a real renaissance look to it.