PDA

View Full Version : Transformation

Kathy Marshall
10-27-2012, 3:45 AM
Tonight I performed a little magic in my shop :D.

It all started with the November sales flyer from Woodcraft. It was right on the cover, Nova DVR XP on sale for $1749! So I've been going back and forth with myself, spend the money, don't spend the money.....
Friday morning I called my local Woodcraft just to see if they had them in stock, when they said yes I made my decision. I asked them to put my name on one and I'd pick it up Saturday morning. They said the would, but they also said they'd honor the sale price if I wanted to pick it up today. So I snuck out of work a little early and headed to Woodcraft.
They got me loaded up and then asked if I'd have some help to set it up. They looked at me a little funny when I told them I'd have the old lathe dismantled and the new lathe set up tonight, and I'd get it done myself.

I got home and started taking apart the old Delta. At 600 lbs, there's no way I was going to be able to move it in one piece.
244171 244172 244173
After cleaning up the mess I made, I brought in the Nova and the stand and got to work. Using a little comealong and one of the metal struts on the roof, I was able to lift it a little at a time until I could get the headstock sitting on a table and one of the leg stands under the tailstock. Then I raised it a little more until I could get the other leg stand under the headstock. Luckily the strut and the strap both held!
Got all the parts cleaned up, waxed the ways, got all the parts installed then plugged it in and turned it on.

It took about 5 hours from start to finish and I'll make the first curlies on it in the morning.244174244175
This should be a fun weekend!

Steve bellinger
10-27-2012, 4:54 AM
Congrats Kathy.Looks like it's gonna be a fun weekend for ya.

John Keeton
10-27-2012, 6:29 AM
Kathy, I am impressed with your ingenuity! Congrats on the new lathe.

Brent Grooms
10-27-2012, 6:50 AM
There is nothing quite like the "shake down turning" enjoy!

Thom Sturgill
10-27-2012, 6:57 AM
Way to go! Can't wait to see the output from the new lathe. I hope it works out well for you.

Scott Lux
10-27-2012, 7:14 AM
So jealous. Should be a fun weekend indeed.

Rick Markham
10-27-2012, 7:37 AM
Congrats on the new lathe! You should keep the other one too:D

Alan Trout
10-27-2012, 7:58 AM
Kathy,

Congratulations, You will really enjoy the DVR. I kept mine and I still use it regularly. It really is a great lathe especially for the price and physical size. It should really expand your capabilities. You are an amazing lady doing all that by yourself.

Alan

Alan Zenreich
10-27-2012, 8:28 AM
When I installed my DVR a few years ago, I was alone in my shop. So I too rigged a come along to lift the headstock to its table. Great minds think alike. Enjoy your new toy.

Steve Mawson
10-27-2012, 8:29 AM
Great job, should be a great fit for your shop. I guess we will have a posting of something new turned by the end of the day. Your Delta has a lot of history, it has served you well.

Eric Holmquist
10-27-2012, 8:30 AM
Amazing job on all the rigging! I had a DVR XP for several years and loved it, I only recently switched to something huge. You will have a lot of fun with it.

Joe Bradshaw
10-27-2012, 9:19 AM
You go Girl. Congrats on your new toy. Enjoy and keep those awesome pieces coming.

Russell Eaton
10-27-2012, 9:22 AM
I hope you enjoy the new lathe. Congrats!

David E Keller
10-27-2012, 9:37 AM
Congrats on the new lathe! I have to admit I'm a bit surprised you didn't take it for a spin right away knowing you're a bit of a night owl turner.;-)

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Congrats on your new lathe Kathy. I love mine.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Great photos!! Enjoy your new lathe!! Looking forward to hearing how you like turning on it!

Roger Chandler
10-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Great for you Kathy! Congratulations! I hope you will put a couple of shelves on that stand and make you some ballast so you can turn larger items without the lathe jumping all over your trailer/shop..........looking forward to seeing your work off this more refined machine..........everyone is happy for you!

James Combs
10-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Congrats on the new lathe Kathy and +1 on keeping the Delta.

Scott Hackler
10-27-2012, 11:58 AM
A giant and long time coming congrats! You'll love the variable speed and the extra capacity might prove to be handy as well. Just a note, IF you rotate the headstock out a bit for easier access, you will likely need to put a pointed spur and live center on both the headstock and tailstock to get it perfectly lined up. I find on my Nova 1624 that there isn't a real positive indent to "exact center". Then screw the clamping rod down real tight and you're good to go.

Have fun and so much for sleep!

Allan Ferguson
10-27-2012, 1:00 PM
Nova sells an alignment tool that is well worth having. It consists of double ended #2 morse tapers. Really put the weight under it.

Sid Matheny
10-27-2012, 4:46 PM
Congrats Kathy and you will love the DVR-XP. I've had mine about 3 years.

Sid

Doug Herzberg
10-27-2012, 6:44 PM
Congratulations, Kathy. I saw that lathe in the WC store today. Looks like a nice one. I'm sure you'll do great things with it.

Bob Bergstrom
10-27-2012, 7:57 PM
I moved from the same Delta 450 to a 3520 and could not believe how much a electronic variable speed control could make. Also the ribbed belts instead of two on the sheaves drive. Glad to see you bought the cast iron legs. The Deltas sheet metal cause a lot of flexing when turning uneven bowl blanks. Enjoy the break in and many years of happy turning. I don't know if you can post much more rapidly than you already do, but I always enjoy all the ones I've seen. Thanks for all your efforts here on the Creek.

Josh Bowman
10-27-2012, 7:59 PM
Kathy that's a great gloat! I am a little worried about your shop though......it's starting to look too neat.

Kathy Marshall
10-27-2012, 8:53 PM
Thanks everyone!
I'm so excited to have a new lathe, that I even cleaned it off after turning the 1st piece on it! :eek:

Congrats Kathy.Looks like it's gonna be a fun weekend for ya.
Thanks Steve! So far, so good, funwise that is ;)

Kathy, I am impressed with your ingenuity! Congrats on the new lathe.
Thanks John! Where there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks Rick! I'll be keeping the old one but more for sentimental reason than anything else, but it's going to have to stay in pieces for awhile. Hopefully I'll be able to get them squeezed into one of the sheds.

Kathy,

Congratulations, You will really enjoy the DVR. I kept mine and I still use it regularly. It really is a great lathe especially for the price and physical size. It should really expand your capabilities. You are an amazing lady doing all that by yourself.

Alan
Thanks Alan!

When I installed my DVR a few years ago, I was alone in my shop. So I too rigged a come along to lift the headstock to its table. Great minds think alike. Enjoy your new toy.
Thanks Alan!

Great job, should be a great fit for your shop. I guess we will have a posting of something new turned by the end of the day. Your Delta has a lot of history, it has served you well.
Thanks Steve! As a matter of fact, I just edited some pics of the 1st piece off the new lathe :D

Congrats on the new lathe! I have to admit I'm a bit surprised you didn't take it for a spin right away knowing you're a bit of a night owl turner.;-)
Thanks David! I considered giving it a go last night, but I knew if I started something then I'd probably be out there till 3am!

Great for you Kathy! Congratulations! I hope you will put a couple of shelves on that stand and make you some ballast so you can turn larger items without the lathe jumping all over your trailer/shop..........looking forward to seeing your work off this more refined machine..........everyone is happy for you!
Thanks Roger! A shelf and some sandbags are on my list.

A giant and long time coming congrats! You'll love the variable speed and the extra capacity might prove to be handy as well. Just a note, IF you rotate the headstock out a bit for easier access, you will likely need to put a pointed spur and live center on both the headstock and tailstock to get it perfectly lined up. I find on my Nova 1624 that there isn't a real positive indent to "exact center". Then screw the clamping rod down real tight and you're good to go.

Have fun and so much for sleep!
Thanks Scott! I already love the variable speed, reverse and the low speed range. This thing is so quiet, what a change that it doesn't sound like I'm turning on a lawn mower anymore!

I moved from the same Delta 450 to a 3520 and could not believe how much a electronic variable speed control could make. Also the ribbed belts instead of two on the sheaves drive. Glad to see you bought the cast iron legs. The Deltas sheet metal cause a lot of flexing when turning uneven bowl blanks. Enjoy the break in and many years of happy turning. I don't know if you can post much more rapidly than you already do, but I always enjoy all the ones I've seen. Thanks for all your efforts here on the Creek.
Thanks Bob!

Kathy that's a great gloat! I am a little worried about your shop though......it's starting to look too neat.
Thanks Josh! Not to worry, it's just that one little area that's clean and I've already started working on making it blend in with the rest!

Baxter Smith
10-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Where theres a will theres a way was my first thought too Kathy.:) I have yet to be able to part with my old VS delta/rockwell after getting a "modern" lathe....but it hasn't had a piece of wood on it since. I am sure you will be smiling everytime you turn it on! Congrats and enjoy!

Steve Kubien
10-29-2012, 4:13 PM
You are going to love the DVR. It is just so insanely smooth, well, it's kinda tough to describe. If a used Stubby hadn't fallen in my lap, I would still be spinning in the Nova. (now I just need to clean it up and sell it". Sheesh!)