PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on SawStop PCS

Kevin Womer
10-26-2012, 9:08 PM
It's been a while since I have posted but I look on here almost daily. I just sold my cabinet saw to a guy on craig's list, a really nice guy and we both part ways happy campers. :)

I have checked the options out there and have decided I am getting a SawStop PCS-3HP, 36 inch T-Glide fence, and a professional mobile base. I am wondering does anyone have the overarm dust collection? I am wondering if it is worth the cost? I also would like to know if anyone has tried this: http://www.infinitytools.com/SawStop-Zero-Clearance-Throat-Plate-With-Two-Inserts/productinfo/100-335/ ? Seems pretty nice and could be a cheaper option than the SS throat plates at 40 bucks a pop.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kevin

Victor Robinson
10-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I just received the ZCI plate from Infinity. Wish it was available earlier as I could have saved the extra 2 SS inserts I bought. It's a nicely machined piece of aluminum and the inserts are fairly easy to make yourself. I'm making a whole bunch in one go and won't need to make any again for quite some time. Alternatively, the inserts are fairly cheap from Infinity.

joseph f merz
10-27-2012, 12:11 AM
do not have alot to compare it to but the over arm dust collection does work .though sure seems to me it could work better .though i have mine on a 1 1/2hp collector ,a bigger one might have more suction.

Mark Smith, too
10-27-2012, 12:24 AM
I am wondering does anyone have the overarm dust collection? I am wondering if it is worth the cost?
Kevin
Kevin, I made my own up using PVC pipe, some flex hose, and a Y fitting for my dust collector. You do need some way to gather the dust coming off the back of the blade shroud. You have to fuss a bit if you use PVC to get a hose to fit on it that also fits the back of the blade shroud, but it can be done and you'll save a lot of money over what SawStop charges. I made mine so it can separate below the level of the saw table so I can take it off when I have something wide to work on.

Kevin Womer
10-27-2012, 5:29 PM
Thanks for the help Gentlemen,

I ordered the 3Hp, with mobile base and said what the heck and got the overhead dust collection after I looked at it at Woodcraft today. Victor, I am going to order that throat plate from Infinity tools, it does look pretty nice, I think I could use it for varying widths of dados which help with the tearout on plywood-much cheaper than having 3 or four throat plates for just dados. I have to be honest, I never really looked at the machine before, always thought it was too much money, but after looking at it today, I realize it is a well built machine with a lot of attention to detail. Anyway it should be here this week, I was able to get free shipping from Keim Lumber in Amish country, I really like them as I get my hardwood from them.
Thanks again,
Kevin

Robert Chapman
10-27-2012, 9:24 PM
You are going to love your SawStop. The Professional base with its hydraulic lift is a great accessory. The SawStop is a very high quality machine. The Manual is almost a work of art. And it's really hard to seriously hurt yourself with this saw. Have fun.

Kevin Womer
10-28-2012, 8:34 PM
Robert,
I didnt know the Professional base had a hydraulic lift, I thought that was only on the Industrial, that is more good news to me. :) I was impressed with the machine I looked at this weekend, I am pleased I went with the 36 inch fence over the 52 it seemed a lot bigger than my last saw width-wise. The folks at SS have been very helpful, patient with all of the questions I have asked, especially the tech guy who called me. As impressive as the machine is, it was the customer service I have read others have had and my own to date that makes this saw a no brainer. Even without the brake, it would be hard for me to find another saw I would consider over Sawstop.
Thanks for the reply,
Kevin

Robert Chapman
10-28-2012, 9:07 PM
Kevin - sorry - I goofed about the base. But if you don't care for the Professional base then order the Industrial. I really like mine.

Kevin Womer
11-01-2012, 9:23 PM
I thought I would update everyone. I had a bit of good fortune yesterday when I got home from school. I had ordered the PCS 3 HP, Overhead Dust collection, Professional base and T-Glide Fence from Keim Lumber in Charm, Ohio. All arrived safely, except for the Professional mobile base. They sent the Industrial Base and modification kit instead. I called them to tell them since I had paid for the cheaper, Professional base and they would be out about a hundred bucks. I asked them if they would want to deliver the Professional base and pick up the Industrial. They told me it was their mistake, if I was happy with what I had I could keep it. I really do like the base a lot, but I didn't order it because it looked like it would stick out like my shop fox base on my grizzly bandsaw and I would continually trip over it, but it seems to stay out of the way and that lift is really cool. I have been trying to get it put together and tomorrow I should be able to finish it. Still need to put on extention wings, table, fence and dust collection. I am extremely impressed how well this thing is put together and designed. I'll post some pics when I get it finished this weekend.
Thanks again,
Kevin

Robert Chapman
11-04-2012, 8:55 PM
Used my Industrial Base about four times today - four or five pumps of the pedal and it's up and moveable in any direction - hit the lowering pedal and the whole thing is back on the floor and solid as a rock. You will love it and the rest of the saw.