PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Sean D Evans
10-26-2012, 9:03 PM
I finally have a tool find worthy of a good-nature d gloat.

A nicer set of dividers than what I normally see and pass up.
Cool old Universal West Haven MFG Co Hack saw.
What I think is a keyhole saw handle. The only part of the stamp I can make out is Sheffield.
Goodell Pratt Hand drill in just about perfect shape with a few bits in the handle.
Disston No 12 from sometime before 1917 according to the Disstonian.
Not-pictured roll of 18 sharp and clean Auger bits.

All for $70.00

george wilson
10-26-2012, 10:22 PM
The keyhole saw is a type called a pad saw (or is it saw pad? Senior moment) by the English. They may still be sold. I know that Woodcraft sold them in the 60's. I've never used one,though they used to appear in flea markets.

Sean D Evans
10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks George. Once I knew what to search for I found that Crown tools still makes one.

I would have been happy if the only thing I found were the dividers. I'd like to take some better pictures and get your opinion on when they were made.

Paul Saffold
10-27-2012, 8:24 AM
Sean that's a nice bunch of tools for the price. The # 12 looks to be in good shape.
The table the tools are on is nice looking too. How about another picture of the table. Thanks.
Paul

george wilson
10-27-2012, 8:46 AM
That pattern of calipers were still being made until recent times,I think. Possibly German. It is a long time used pattern,but not filed up decoratively enough to be too old. Not earlier than 19th.C.,I GUESS. I think years ago,I even saw similar in the Woodcraft catalog(in the 60's). BUT,I haven't been concerned with those type calipers for a long time. Someone else may know better about them. They are certainly perfectly good,heavy duty calipers to keep and use in any event. They won't spring and vibrate when scratching out circles!!

Andrae Covington
10-27-2012, 1:58 PM
Nice dividers. My amateur guess is mid-1800's. As George said, they don't look fancy enough to be 1700's, but they're still made from square stock and have the nice chamfer details that you don't see on the later versions with round legs. Take a look at the drawings for this 1850 patent (http://www.google.com/patents/US7257). The patent is for a microadjustment mechanism with little serrations on the rack bar. Other than that deviation and related placement of the thumbscrew, the overall detailing is similar to yours.

Sean D Evans
10-27-2012, 3:41 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187565-Neander-Project

The pictures aren't that great....