PDA

View Full Version : Are gloats going out of style?

Stephen Cherry
10-26-2012, 5:34 PM
I hope so; I just recently picked up a Ritter 23 hole line bore machine, and a Kreg pneumatic pocket holer. It's a double whammy carcass gloat! 1350 for the pair.

scott vroom
10-26-2012, 5:39 PM
Got pictures?

Matt Day
10-26-2012, 5:52 PM
Style aside, where are the pictures to proove it?

Paul Wunder
10-26-2012, 6:22 PM
This is a tough crowd

Stephen Cherry
10-26-2012, 6:43 PM
Here we go, fine US made hole drilling Mocheens:

Andrew Hughes
10-26-2012, 6:57 PM
Hi ,Stephen i understand the kreg machine but what is the line boring machine used for?

Stephen Cherry
10-26-2012, 7:13 PM
Hi ,Stephen i understand the kreg machine but what is the line boring machine used for?

It drills all the 5mm holes for shelf pins. If you are going to have them, they might as well be in the right spots.

paul cottingham
10-26-2012, 7:23 PM
OK I'll say it, YOU SUCK.
Seriously nice score, dude.

Peter Quinn
10-26-2012, 7:38 PM
Not sure about gloats. It used to be 40% of the posts here, or so it seemed. When the economic down turn first took hold lots of guys were stealing lots of things from poor desperate people all over. Not stealing really, but some times it felt that way. Anyway, I guess the gloats have for one reason or another slowed noticeably, so they are more scarce, but no less sweet. And that is a sweet deal there. Congrats.

Stephen Cherry
10-26-2012, 7:44 PM
Anyway, I guess the gloats have for one reason or another slowed noticeably, so they are more scarce, but no less sweet.

That's true, the big woodworking auction place has very little on their calendar, and the secondary auctions are few and far between.

David Kumm
10-26-2012, 8:15 PM
The dealers I know are saying the auction prices have risen and it is more difficult to find good inventory. It might be that the schools have disposed and the businesses have closed. Certain machines still seem low but others have firmed up. VFDs and RPCs are becoming more common so maybe that is helping the prices. I like deals but gloats sometimes became more about price than value and sometimes you feel for the widow that gave her spouses stuff away. Dave

Stephen Cherry
10-27-2012, 8:49 AM
The dealers I know are saying the auction prices have risen and it is more difficult to find good inventory. It might be that the schools have disposed and the businesses have closed. Certain machines still seem low but others have firmed up. VFDs and RPCs are becoming more common so maybe that is helping the prices. I like deals but gloats sometimes became more about price than value and sometimes you feel for the widow that gave her spouses stuff away. Dave t

David- Actually both of the previous owners these machines were delighted that they were gone. The pocket holer was bought by a dealer who had offered it on a widely watched website at what would seem to be a low price, but there were no takers. The line borer was sold by a cabinet shop that was closing due to health issues, which were maybe made worse by 4 years of slow business. The owner of the shop, a guy with 30 years of experience, told me that if he got back into it in a better economy he would get a cnc router to do cabinets. I've been buying my gear over a period of several years, and have never seen the widow giving things away. In my opinion in tough economic times, it is important not to underestimate the abilities of others, nor to vilify the successful. Or to think that the guy that brings the best cash offer for an asset with declining demand is "the bad guy". I don't feel for the old widows even one little bit, if they had better offers, they would have taken them.

It's just like the stock market, everybody talks about the "sell off" of a stock during times of decreasing value. The only thing that stands between stability and complete collapse is the buyers on the other end of the selloff. I like to think that I have done my little part of stabilizing the used woodworking market by rolling up in my pickup truck with cash in hand.

David Kumm
10-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Stephen, I didn't mean to imply anyone was taken advantage of. The gloats here are nothing like what i've seen on OWWM where buying for nothing is a goal. Sellers with some knowledge are fair game. I've bought so much used stuff that once in a while I've gotten a seller with no clue and paid him more than he asked. It was more so a couple of years ago. I'm a free market guy. Just got tired of some threads over the years like " Your best gloat, your best deal, etc" that degenerate into talking only about price, followed by a thread complaining about why no one produces quality anymore. I certainly don"t include your purchases in that category. Dave

Stephen Cherry
10-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm a free market guy.

Thanks Dave, that's what I thought.

Mike Heidrick
10-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Definate You Suckage!! right there!!

Jeff Monson
10-27-2012, 1:59 PM
I like to think that I have done my little part of stabilizing the used woodworking market by rolling up in my pickup truck with cash in hand.

And I'd like to say you did a mighty fine job of it. Nice score, I'd love to have either one.

Mike Cruz
11-05-2012, 7:02 AM
Not sure about gloats. It used to be 40% of the posts here, or so it seemed. When the economic down turn first took hold lots of guys were stealing lots of things from poor desperate people all over. Not stealing really, but some times it felt that way. Anyway, I guess the gloats have for one reason or another slowed noticeably, so they are more scarce, but no less sweet. And that is a sweet deal there. Congrats.

Peter, I for one, haven't had the gloats much anymore because, well, I ran out of stuff to buy! Once I filled up my shop, I stopped perusing the "tools" section on CL... ;)
Easier on the wallet that way, too...

Steve, AWESOME gloat! I know you've been looking for both of these machines. Glad you didn't have to bite the bullet on "okay" deals just to get them so you could build what you need to. Congrats and have fun!

Cyrus Brewster 7
11-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Peter, I for one, haven't had the gloats much anymore because, well, I ran out of stuff to buy! Once I filled up my shop, I stopped perusing the "tools" section on CL... ;)
Easier on the wallet that way, too...

Mike, It seems we have both stopped at about the same time. I remember last year that you beat to two tools. You could have stopped sooner (or did you?).

You did, however, point me in the direction of a great deal on an air filter. I guess you are forgiven.

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 7:08 AM
Hehe, I'll never be completely done, Cyrus. But I'm "mostly done". :D There are always little things that pop up that perk my ears, but I'm no longer looking for the staple things like saws. Hey, if you are in the market for anything, let me know and if I see it, I'll be sure to let you know.

Cyrus Brewster 7
11-06-2012, 2:21 PM
Well Mike, if you come across about 10 extra feet of shop space give me a shout. Heck, 5' would do just fine.

Stephen Cherry
11-06-2012, 2:53 PM
Hehe, I'll never be completely done, Cyrus. But I'm "mostly done". :D There are always little things that pop up that perk my ears, but I'm no longer looking for the staple things like saws. Hey, if you are in the market for anything, let me know and if I see it, I'll be sure to let you know.

Some of you out in internet land may not realize it, But Mr Cruz has a habit of snatching up the good craigslist deals within just a few minutes of posting, usually for about 50% of asking price. I've reconciled myself that if I want a good deal, it's going to take plenty of gas, a bag of Doritos, and Super Big Gulp of Mountain Dew.

Mike Cruz
11-06-2012, 4:45 PM
Yeah, um, sorry...but I'm in the market for that, too.:p