PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my jointer order?

Matt Meiser
04-19-2005, 4:57 PM
I got an email today that the G0586 isn't expected to ship until mid-June now. Sounds like this happens a lot on new products for Grizzly, which isn't too suprising but I'm getting anxious. The Yorkcraft 8" with shipping is only $50 more, including free liftgate delivery, which from what I read would probably cost me $50 when my Grizzly comes in. Should I cancel the Griz and get the Yorkcraft?

The plusses I see: 110V capable, so I don't have to rewire, sooner availability, 3 knives vs. 4 .

Drawbacks: no magnetic switch, not sure on support down the road.

scott spencer
04-19-2005, 5:01 PM
Hi Matt - I wouldn't blame you for cancelling the Griz if you want to get going sooner than June. I'm sure both machines would do a great job. One consideration about the YC is that the rack and pinion fence support post sticks out the back a bit. If you've got the space, I'd probably make a move of some sort.

Did you consider the older Griz G1018? I think it's on sale for $595 plus s/h.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2005, 5:01 PM
I can't help you on the specific machines. However, if I could get a comparable jointer now rather than wait, I sure would be jumping on it.

I am not very good at waiting though! :)

Matt Meiser
04-19-2005, 5:04 PM
Hi Matt - I wouldn't blame you for cancelling the Griz if you want to get going sooner than June. I'm sure both machines would do a great job. One consideration about the YC is that the rack and pinion fence support post sticks out the back a bit. If you've got the space, I'd probably make a move of some sort.

Did you consider the older Griz G1018? I think it's on sale for $595 plus s/h.

The 1018 sale is over. But, I'm considering calling Griz and telling them if they'll honor the sale price and ship immediatly, I'll buy one of their machines instead of the competition's.

Matt Meiser
04-19-2005, 5:05 PM
I am not very good at waiting though! :)

Hence my post. Before I was OK waiting due to finances, but after my spring cleaning sale, it would be OK to spend the money now.

Paul Dwight
04-19-2005, 6:12 PM
The Delta "Professional" jointer, model 37-380, uses the same jointer body as the 8" Yorkcraft jointer. (The cabinet base and motor are different.) I own the Delta and have been happy with it. All the machined surfaces are acceptably flat and readily adjust into alignment. The only knock against this machine is that the rack-and-pinion adjustment mechanism for the fence sticks out the back and takes up a bit of space. However, I've decided I like the fence adjustment mechanism in spite of the space it takes up. When edge jointing stock I can adjust the fence to different locations to spread the wear over different parts of the knives WITHOUT having to re-set the fence to be square with the table.

Wilke has a great reputation for customer service. I wouldn't worry about service issues down the road. Moreover, since the jointer body is the same as the Delta, parts should be available for a long time (even if you had to get them from Delta).

I would have bought the Yorkcraft, myself, except that I live on the wrong end of the country and the shipping cost spoiled the deal.

None of this is a knock against Grizzly. I'm sure you would be happy with one of their jointers, too.

Hope this helps. -- Paul

chris toomey
04-19-2005, 7:33 PM
personally, i'd wait. seems like a lot of machine for the money. my buddy orderd one. i'll report first hand info when i can. i have a few grizzly machines and can't complain. i'm considering one myself....but am kinda holdin out for some old iron......

John Miliunas
04-19-2005, 8:32 PM
Matt, just to throw out a few things, some which have already been mentioned. Wilke has some of the best CS around. The YC, as I recall, has had one or more reviews on it and scored quite well, while we don't yet know what the Grizz will deliver. Not a shot against Grizz, as I've ordered from them myself, but when I was looking for a jointer @ a year ago, they had the 8" with spiral cutterhead. Another "NEW" item and they just kept pushing the delivery date back, and back and back.....:( I gave up and happily, got a DJ20!:) Lastly, YOU may be more proficient with it, but even on the DJ, I found getting 3 blades perfect was not easy and extremely time-consuming. You'd have FOUR to deal with here!:eek: May be OK for you, but cetainly not MY cup of tea! Did I mention that Wilke Machinery has GREAT Customer Service?:) In the end, whether it's 3 or 4 blades or even a spiral, it will NOT be finish-ready. Even a fresh set of blades will leave machine marks, albeit they might be nearly invisible....Until you start putting stain/finish on the piece! Just MHO, but I too am rather an impatient sort!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 9:32 PM
Why not the G0500? Long bed and good reviews from folks. (One review by Terry Neilson is on my site)

Matt Meiser
04-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Why not the G0500? Long bed and good reviews from folks. (One review by Terry Neilson is on my site)

Price. Its about $200-250 more to my door.

Matt Meiser
04-22-2005, 8:25 AM
Just got off the phone with Wilke. I should have have an 8" jointer in my shop by this time next week!

Shipping was very reasonable to SE Michigan. They are running a $30 off special making shipping $108 to my house, including free liftgate service.

John Miliunas
04-22-2005, 8:36 AM
Good for you, Matt! Congrats and be sure to give us the complete lowdown (including pics, of course!) once you take delivery!:) Enjoy!!!:) :cool:

Chris Lee
04-22-2005, 8:41 AM
Matt,

I picked up the YC 8" about a month ago and could not be happier. Seems to work real well and I love the built in mobile base. I like the fence, as it is easy to adjust and very sturdy. You just turn a knob until it is where you want it and lock it down. Assembly was easy, though I would suggest you download the delta directions. If you look at the two you can they are the same machines, they even have the same pics in the manuals, but deltas version has more pics. Mine is still set up for 110 but I will be changing it over to 220 as I just installed 2 new 220 circuits in my garage. 1 for the DC and 1 for the other 220 tools.

Chris

Aaron Heck
04-22-2005, 11:32 AM
The 1018 sale is over. But, I'm considering calling Griz and telling them if they'll honor the sale price and ship immediatly, I'll buy one of their machines instead of the competition's.

I know you already bought, but for anyone else in the same boat, PapaGriz is still offering the sale price to people, I believe. He commented on it over at Woodnet.