PDA

View Full Version : pens and knife handles made with antler?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2012, 3:06 PM
I got a call from my youngest son. He has a friend interested in using deer antler and bone for making pens and knife handles.

What kind of a sealer if any is used to seal the antler and how is it applied.....buffed etc?

Any help would be appreciated!

jared herbert
10-26-2012, 6:27 PM
I have made a fair amount of pens from antler. I just used my beal buffing wheels and they polish up real nice. It seems to me that just polishing and waxing them imparts a nicer finish than any of the other finishes I have tried, CA and various other film type coatings. Jared

David Warkentin
10-26-2012, 6:59 PM
IIRC I used ca.

Scott Hackler
10-26-2012, 8:12 PM
Ken, I have turned a few antler pens and I didn't use any finish on them. Just sanded through the usual pen grits and buffed. They looked good to me.

Joe Ruden
10-26-2012, 8:14 PM
I have always finished them with CA. It stinks when you're turning them though.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Ken I have made quite a few pens and one knife handle out of antler. I sand clear thru micro mesh 12,000 and buff with Tripoli, White Diamond and Ren Wax. Doesn't need any more than that. CA and film coats don't cut it with me.

Jim Burr
10-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Antler still has pores that can and will absorb oil and dirt. It will take a great polish solo, there are times when there is a soft spot in the antler. CA is one of the better, most durable and widely used pen finishes. Done correctly, it can't be beat on most surfaces...shell casings being one of the exceptions. Draw backs...antler stinks like crazy and is hard as a rock!

Billy Tallant
10-27-2012, 9:38 AM
I've made quite a few bullet pens with whitetail antler. Antler will definately polish up nicely with no finish needed to get that glossy finish. On the other hand, will this glossy finish hold up over time? Will it absorb oil & dirt over time? I've switched over to using ca on all of my antler pens. I can put that glossy finish on my antler & it will keep from getting discolored with dirt & oil.

James Combs
10-27-2012, 11:36 AM
What Billy said.

I've made quite a few bullet pens with whitetail antler. Antler will definately polish up nicely with no finish needed to get that glossy finish. On the other hand, will this glossy finish hold up over time? Will it absorb oil & dirt over time? I've switched over to using ca on all of my antler pens. I can put that glossy finish on my antler & it will keep from getting discolored with dirt & oil.

Brian Brown
10-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Ken,

What I've heard is any of the usual wood finishes (for turning) work. What I've experienced, is CA works great when done exactly as if was a wood pen. That experience comes from the total of 1 antler pens I have turned. Antler stinks so bad, somebody will have to offer me a lot of cash before I'll turn another. PU!!!