PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw advice please: Dewalt vs Hegner

Jim C Martin
10-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Hello All:
I hope some of you scroll saw experts can give me a bit of advice. I don't use a scroll saw very much but when you need one, nothing else will do. But when you need one, nothing else will do the job. Plus, I'm a real push over for high end tools.
Today there will be a school auction about an hour away from me including a Hegner Polycut. It looks to be in good condition but I will not be able to put hands or eyes on it in person before driving to the auction. Pic below. These auctions usually go cheap so I might be able to get it for less than I paid for the Dewalt. Looking at the picture, I'm wondering if its missing part of the blade tension mechanism. All the Hegners I can find on the web or youtube have a fast acting clamp for blade tension. I can't see anything like that in the pic. Perhaps older models didn't come with that?
EDIT: I think I just figured out that the blade is tensioned using the knob at the back. Just barely visible in the pic.
I currently own a Dewalt type 1. Its pretty beat up cosmetically but functions fine. Got it used with over 200 blades for $275 with stand and light so I can't really complain. If I were to buy the Hegner, I'm sure I could sell the Dewalt for nearly that $275 while keeping the blades.
So, if you guys were in my shoes would you make the effort to go and bid on the Hegner? What would be a fair price? Actually, what would be a screaming deal price? Is it that much better than a Type I Dewalt?
Thanks,
Jim

Jamie Lynch
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I have had and worn out a Dewalt scroll saw and just a few years ago upgraded to a Canadian made Excalibur (For $80!). I love the parallel link system, variable speed motor and tensioning up front. I'm not sure how I would like the Hegner, but if I could get one for $300 or so sight unseen I'd probably take it. You can always get it, try it and sell it if you don't like it.

Jim C Martin
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks Jamie.
New question for any of you who have used the Hegner and the Dewalt: Are the blade changes on the Hegner as easy as the Dewalt?

Gordon Eyre
10-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I have the Dewalt and like it. Not sure what Hegner would do that my Dewalt won't.

Joe Bradshaw
10-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I have a Hegner and really like it. No problem with blade changes. I have not used the Dewalt.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-26-2012, 1:56 PM
Presuming the dewalt type 1 is the model built by Excalibur, I would probably give it a slight edge in a head to head-- however, given that they're both used, I'd buy the Hegner and sell which ever one you like the least. Are parts available for both saws?

Larry Frank
10-26-2012, 8:22 PM
I have tried both saws and the Hegner is a better built machine. The parts from it are available through Advanced Machinery and I just got some from them for my 24 year old Hegner this week. The customer service was excellent when I called.

Just like comparing any other tools, there are those that love the DeWalt and those that love a Hegner. There are pros and cons for both machines. Typically, a new DeWalt 788 is around $500 and a new Hegner with stand is $1400. Your best bet for the Hegner is something like Craigslist. Of course, with a used machine, you will want to test it out completely to make certain there is nothing wrong with it.

Julian Tracy
10-26-2012, 9:53 PM
I have had three Dewalts over the years, and currently have one in the shop now. Ive also had the Hegner 24V multimax saw as well.

The Hegner was much smoother running, but to me the blade changes of the Dewalt put it on top. The Hegner was just too tedious, even with the so called quick-change optional clamp accessory. It was a nicer saw overall, but I'm not so much of heavy scrollsaw user to where I felt like I needed a $1500 saw sitting in the shop.

Stealth gloat - bought the Hegner on CL with a stand for $65! Sold it for $750.

JT