PDA

View Full Version : Gluing onto BLO'ed MDF?

rick carpenter
10-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Well, my OCD may have failed me this time. I put a couple of coats of BLO/varnish on an MDF base for a router table before gluing on my leveling shims. Can I reliably glue wood shims onto the 'treated' mdf or should I start over? Not much invested in time or material for this component, but again my compulsion to make it work will outweigh the logic of starting over.

Mike Henderson
10-25-2012, 11:10 PM
My experience is that the glue won't stick very well, unless you can sand the BLO portion off to get to raw MDF.

Mike

glenn bradley
10-26-2012, 3:59 AM
My experience matches Mike's. I would reinforce and adhesive attempt with something mechanical; brads, screws, etc. I BLO my work surfaces so that adhesives won't stick. If you did a light wipe of BLO, the penetration may not be too deep and you could sand or scrape to raw material. If you flooded the surface as I did for my workbench, the penetration is pretty deep and so, reaching raw material may be unrealistic. JMHO.

Rich Engelhardt
10-26-2012, 5:54 AM
As long as the BLO/varnish is dry, I don't believe you'll have any problems.
Just use an all purpose adhesive instead of wood glue.

Bob Wingard
10-26-2012, 9:34 AM
Therein lies your problem ... BLO never really dries ... it migrates deeper into the surface and just sits there, waiting to do something nasty to your project at a later date.