PDA

View Full Version : PSI Barracuda 2 csc3000 ctn on nova 1624

john davey
10-25-2012, 1:23 PM
Hi All, I recently upgraded an old delta lathe to the Nova. I currently have two 1 x 8 tpi chucks. An original teknatool mini and a PSI Barracuda 2. I know there are adapters to use these chucks on the Nova and I have a few questions.

First How does the adapter work? Do I need one for each chuck or is it screwed to the head stock where I could then add either chuck?

Second is it possible to get an insert for the Barracuda. I see that it is compatible with a 3/4 x 16tpi & 1 x 8tpi. Is this just done with an adapter and the chuck is set at 1/8tpi? All I can find is it says it is compatible with Mini, Midi and large lathes. I am assuming this to be with the adapter if no insert?

Lastly if I need an adapter how good are they. Run out problems or are they pretty good?

I am planning on keeping the delta midi I have so I want to keep the chucks. Otherwise I would just sell them off and get a Supernova 2.

If the adapters are a crapshoot i may sell off the Barracuda and replace it with the Supernova 2 and keep the old mini chuck for the Delta. That is an option if I had to. But the Lathe purchase killed the budget for a while and I am hoping an adapter or insert is all I need.

Thanks, John

Thom Sturgill
10-25-2012, 3:25 PM
I own two of the Barracuda 2 chucks that were the first chucks I bought. They are 1"x8tpi without an adapter so the 3/4x16 adapter screws into that. When I later bought a G3 I got it with a 1x8 adapter and later replaced that with a 1 1/4" adapter when I bought a new lathe.
I have a 1 1/4' - 1" spindle adapter for the larger lathe and so do several members of our club. No one has had problems with them other than the fact that the better ones are solid and you cannot use a vacuum chuck or drill through them. I do not remember who I bought from, but I believe it was the aluminum one from Packard.

john davey
10-25-2012, 4:04 PM
Thanks Thom. I don't have a vacuum setup so I think I'll be OK. Do I need one for each chuck or is it attached to the head stock and the chucks spun on and off of the adapter?

Thom Sturgill
10-25-2012, 6:19 PM
The spindle adapter is just that. It screws on the end of the spindle (headstock) and the chuck spins on to it. Sometimes it will come off with the chuck, but most have either a flat for a wrench or channel lock or a hole for a 'tommy bar'. I have not had any problem with mine getting stuck on the chuck

john davey
10-26-2012, 7:32 AM
Got it. Thanks....