PDA

View Full Version : Rulers and tape measures

Lewis Ehrhardt
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I've been building some kitchen cabinets and couldn't understand why I'd be off as much as an 1/8 inch at various times. As long as I used a story-stick/pole, I was spot-on. Long story short, two of my newer tape measures were off as compared to two older standbys that I've used for years. I know when you start a project to stay with the same measuring device. But these tapes were off from 36 to 96 inches (didn't check further).

So, I said to self, "self" go get you a Lufkin six-foot folding ruler. So far every one I've checked, has been off anywhere from 1/16 to 1/8 inch. None were consistenly off at the same place. You'd think in this day and age something as simple as an accurate ruler or tape measure for that matter would not be that difficult to find.
I'm curious, anybody out there found a brand that's consistenly close to being accurate? Thanks Lewis

ray hampton
10-25-2012, 1:03 PM
We need to hire someone to look into this and report to this forum

Dan Hulbert
10-25-2012, 1:09 PM
I have pretty much given up on tape measures and rulers. Story sticks and setup blocks have improved my accuracy tremendously. I have an 8' piece of 1/2" aluminum angle stock that works great for large projects. Write on it with a pencil, erase with a wet finger.

Rod Sheridan
10-25-2012, 1:12 PM
Tape measures aren't accurate at all.

The same model will be different, due to the method used to produce them. (Printed with a rubber master).

Steel rules are die made and if you buy one with a guaranteed accuracy, it will be accurate.

Of course if you use the same measuring device and it's not accurate, it won't matter since it will be repeatable....................Rod.

Stephen Cherry
10-25-2012, 1:14 PM
Great information Lewis, THANKS

Rian de Bruyn
10-25-2012, 1:18 PM
I use only 1 tape measure on a projek for that reason

Carl Beckett
10-25-2012, 1:39 PM
I have started appreciating my grandfathers old wooden ruler more and more. And the little brass insert slides out for inside measurements. (pretty much a universal story stick)

Peter Kelly
10-25-2012, 1:56 PM
I'm curious, anybody out there found a brand that's consistenly close to being accurate? Thanks Lewis

http://www.tigersupplies.com/Products/Leica-Disto-D2-Laser-Distance-Measuring-Device__LEI763495.aspx

Unfortunately, you can't do outside distances with it. Awesome otherwise.

Mel Fulks
10-25-2012, 2:34 PM
Many years ago one of my first jobs was as an apprentice to a good cabinetmaker- turner. I was his only employee. Business was slow so he had decided to make a lowboy and bed as a Christmas gift for his wife. The wood was fine red old Virginia walnut. It was stuff he had saved for many years. Every piece had been marked years before as to what part it would be. They had moved several times, but they had never been tempted to leave it behind. He showed me the boards for the top and told me to rough cut them.After doing that I said "Are you sure fifty inches is right? Which way do the boards run? Looks to me like they're too short this way and too long the other way." At that point I noticed smoke coming out of his ears . I put the ruler on one of the boards to show I was correct. He pointed out that I had failed to unfold a couple of sections and fired me. To this day if I have to use a folding rule I study it carefully for a couple of minutes and get a chill. He found some other lesser pieces for the top, one board he had to patch because it had a couple of old bolt holes. But because he was so particular about color and close grain he preferred doing that rather than use new wood. He hired me back.

Tom Walz
10-25-2012, 2:37 PM
I checked a half dozen rulers, tapes etc. a year or so ago. It was hard to find two that matched.

Bill White
10-25-2012, 2:58 PM
Just use the same tape. All is relative.
When I'm working with a helper we always compare our tapes to make sure we have a degree of "sameness".
Bill

glenn bradley
10-25-2012, 3:08 PM
The old wives tale of using the same tape measure only works if you are using the same small area of that tape measure that is OK. If the scale starts to slip at 36", everything under that will be OK but longer pieces will not scale correctly. I have 2 12' tapes that match. They also match my steel rules, which match my squares. It took 2 tapes and 2 out of 4 rules but, I got there. Despite repeated checks on the tapes that prove OK, I still generally use them for rough measurements as the hook can be a factor; did I hold it down every time???? Not sure . . . At any rate, things come out accurately now but, there was some effort involved. It is troubleing how the simple things now cost so much if you want them done right. When did fundamental function start to equate to cheap and shoddy?

Peter Kelly
10-25-2012, 3:34 PM
When did fundamental function start to equate to cheap and shoddy?
When private equity firms took over tool companies and started outsourcing manufacturing to China.

Lee Schierer
10-25-2012, 3:45 PM

I've had pretty good luck with Stanley 30' tapes being accurate to each other. I can't say they are accurate to NBS. With that said I also tend to use one tape measure consistently for the duration of a project and never rely on the scales attached to my saw or the miter gauge for precision measurements when cutting a piece needed for a project. I measure and mark each cut with a .7mm Pentel mechanical pencil.

scott vroom
10-25-2012, 6:19 PM
They guarantee accuracy to 1/16".....not compelling.

http://www.tigersupplies.com/Products/Leica-Disto-D2-Laser-Distance-Measuring-Device__LEI763495.aspx

Unfortunately, you can't do outside distances with it. Awesome otherwise.

Chris Friesen
10-25-2012, 6:52 PM
and compared a bunch of tapes against a steel rule, then picked one that matched. When I needed a bigger tape I took my smaller tape and compared it against the bigger ones to find one that matched. Yes, it's a pain, but at least my tapes and rules all match each other. Of course if it *really* matters I'll use a story stick or mark directly on the piece itself.

Jeff Duncan
10-25-2012, 7:20 PM
I'm in the pic a tape and stick with it camp. If your doing fine furniture that requires precision that's different....a kitchen, pretty simple stuff. My favorites are Stanley 16'ers in the shop and a longer 25' or even 30' for site measurements.

good luck,
JeffD

Victor Robinson
10-25-2012, 7:33 PM
For those of you that have looked into this, have you found that the inaccuracy tends to stem from the hook or the actual printed scale? E.g. is a 10" measurement from the 2" to 12" marks just as variable as if you measured from the end of the tapes?

Chris Friesen
10-25-2012, 7:55 PM
For those of you that have looked into this, have you found that the inaccuracy tends to stem from the hook or the actual printed scale? E.g. is a 10" measurement from the 2" to 12" marks just as variable as if you measured from the end of the tapes? Both. :) Seriously, you can have a misplaced hook *and* variability in the printed scale.

David Kumm
10-25-2012, 8:01 PM
I think there was an article some time ago about tape inconsistency. FWW or similar bought several of different brands. I think Fastcap came out the most consistent but my memory may be incorrect. Dave

johnny means
10-25-2012, 8:32 PM
What brands/models are you guys using? I've got no less than 20 different tapes, all Lufkins and Stanleys of various sizes. Everyone of them has an accurate scale and a hook within a 32nd. The greatest variances I ever see in measuring stem from the way I hold the tape measure and not the tool. Of course, that is until I drop it on the hook.

Lewis Ehrhardt
10-25-2012, 9:23 PM
Johnny, I haven't found any new Lufkin folding ruler yet that wasn't off usually from 12 inches to about 48 inches. Can't say for their tapes.

Alan Lightstone
10-25-2012, 10:02 PM
I've had pretty good luck with Stanley 30' tapes being accurate to each other. I can't say they are accurate to NBS. With that said I also tend to use one tape measure consistently for the duration of a project and never rely on the scales attached to my saw or the miter gauge for precision measurements when cutting a piece needed for a project. I measure and mark each cut with a .7mm Pentel mechanical pencil.

Just threw out my 30' Stanley. I kept having issues of parts not matching up, and found out it was off by 1/8"

Sam Murdoch
10-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I use only 1 tape measure on a projek for that reason

The same tape measure on each project. My go to tape measure for cabinet work is this one:

244015 http://www.acetoolonline.com/Tajima-GP-16BW-16-foot-x-1-inch-tape-measure-carp-p/taj-gp-16bw.htm?utm_content=TajimaGp16Bw16FootX1InchTapeM easure&gclid=CO-HxM3MnbMCFcuZ4AodW3YAlw&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=TajimaGp16Bw16FootX1InchTapeMeasure&utm_campaign=googlebase&site=google_product_listing_ads

It is accurate in both the pull and push off the end of the tape, easy to read numbers and last a pretty long time. Though at $ 16.00 I consider this a consumable and don't mind buying a new on every year or so.

I have never found a more accurate tape measure, especially in regards to the reading, whether pulled for an outside dimension, or held in tight for an inside dimension. Other than this I use flat Starrett steel rules.

marty shultz
10-25-2012, 10:47 PM
I've had problems finding square squares for machine setup. Even my Starrett combo squares aren't square. I used a friends Woodpecker framing square that was dead on so I bought one. They're expensive but hopefully worth it in the long run.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-26-2012, 4:03 AM
Well, After reading this I went out and checked my tape rules against my table saw tape. I have 2 Stanley FatMax 25 and 16 feet. Both of them were dead on 52". My old cheapo Stanley 25 footer from the #mart store was off 1/16 or so at 52". So kudos for Stanley I guess. As long as my saw tape and FatMax rules are the same, I'm happy. The cheapo Stanley is usually my rough work rule anyways.
BTW the FatMax tape rules are the bomb for us old guys who cannot see small things anymore. Pretty soon I'll have to mark with a sharpie, and then accuracy will be out the door. I'm having trouble with .5 mm pencil lines already. Specially on dark wood. Those safety bifocals are the bomb too. I'm on the downhill slide of life. Every day get up is a good day.

glenn bradley
10-26-2012, 4:14 AM
When private equity firms took over tool companies and started outsourcing manufacturing to China.

High-five Peter.

scott vroom
10-26-2012, 3:09 PM
A bigger problem for me is when I drop the tape and the tab gets bent causing the tape to become inaccurate. To solve this, I use Tajima tape measures.....they have a cool feature that protects the tab from damage when the tape is retracted. No matter how it hits the floor, the accuracy is not affected.