PDA

View Full Version : Built-in EC

Scott Coffelt
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I had a client who wanted a simple built-in for their audio/video equipment. The cabinet is made from birch ply and has birch trim. The interesting thing was the placement of the cabinet required some inginuity on how best to access the DVD Changer. I came up with the idea of having a smaller door which flips down to allow complete access to the DVD player. The rest of the units can be accessed if need be below or via remote control. It has rear access for easy wiring.

Simple, yet functional. I had originally envisioned the cabinet would be lower. The client decided they wanted it higher. The glass doors are Greylite 14. Fairly expensive compared to traditional bronze tinted glass. The small door cost over $35 alone. The door hardware is from Rockler and is the heavier duty knife like designed hinges for glass. I little tricky to install in the smaller compartment, but doable with the Festool TDD drill and chucks.

Keith Starosta
04-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Pretty cool, Scott. One question.....is that a closet behind the built-in? It looks almost like you have "behind-the-wall" access...

Keith

Scott Coffelt
04-19-2005, 2:05 PM
It's the clients HVAC/Storage room. Yes, there is rear access to the components, which is real nice. It's the second one of these set-ups I have done.

Keith Starosta
04-20-2005, 8:49 AM
Man, I would kill to have that kind of access in my family room. I wanted to do this exact thing, but have no way of pulling it off. Well done!!

Keith

Jeff Sudmeier
04-20-2005, 9:23 AM
Scott that is a nice looking peice and very functional as well. It would be so nice to hide all of the AV components like that!