PDA

View Full Version : Wasting time on the computer instead of woodworking (my son's first computer exp)

Chris S Anderson
10-25-2012, 9:54 AM
Having two kids at home, one being two years old, my summer vacations and winter breaks (I'm a teacher) are not filled with building or creating real things like they used to. My shop is in the basement, and unless the kids are out with my wife, I can't really go down there and start anything without constant interruptions or the possibility of someone coming down and getting hurt while a saw is turning.

I went to Home Depot this week to get things to winterize the house, and I was amazed at how little time I am spending doing what I love. The smell of the place brought back some wonderful memories.

Anyway, this is what I have found myself doing instead of woodworking:

http://youtu.be/hViKXQTRYYY

It will be a funny memory to watch later, but I do miss going down those stairs and holding some sharpened planes.

Bruce Page
10-25-2012, 1:04 PM
We had a different philosophy on this when our kids were small. We didn’t go out of our way to tippy-toe around when the kids were napping. We played music at normal levels, did laundry, etc, and I worked in the shop when I wanted to. Our kids quickly got use to life’s noises. All are adults now and could sleep through a train wreck.

Chris S Anderson
10-25-2012, 4:12 PM
Sadly, when my son naps, my wife naps with him, and it is not him I am worried about waking!
Once my son watched me fix the screen door that he had just kicked the screen out of. He watched me take the roller tool and insert the rubber gasket. The next morning my wife noticed him playing with a new toy. He had gotting the roller tool out of a drawer and started "fixing" the other screens. I can't wait until he can communicate a little better and I can teach him some tool safety and then some tool basics. Until then, I don't think I will let him watch me start up anything with a blade.

Dave Ray
10-26-2012, 8:33 PM
Chris, you may miss woodworking some,but your building much more important stuff with your son. This type of relationship is what fathers are all about. Great job.

Chris S Anderson
10-27-2012, 9:10 AM
Thanks, Dave.
I can't wait till he can start those tools up with me!