PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Mirror Masking

Steve Clarkson
10-25-2012, 7:11 AM
It seems like any mirrored acrylic I have bought recently comes with a clear plastic masking rather than a paper masking. The clear masking seems to affect the edge quality when vector cutting........with the paper mask, the edge always seemed polished, but with the clear mask it almost looks shattered.

The problem is, I can't remember which suppliers use the paper masking......ugh! I guess I'll have to make some calls to find out......unless someone here knows.........

Anyone else notice this issue?

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2012, 7:48 AM
I just find it harder to remove as the edge is almost welded on. Peel and apply transfer tape.

Brian Stezowski
10-25-2012, 7:51 AM
Ditto what Joe said. Delvies uses a paper mask on everything I believe...

Steve Clarkson
10-25-2012, 8:25 AM
Thanks.....yea Joe....it almost seems to bead up on the edge.

Brian, I have bought from Delvies many times before......so I think you may be right.....I'll call them to check. The only thing I don't like about Delvies is that they ship via Pony Express......it takes like 8 days to reach NY.

Brian Stezowski
10-25-2012, 8:40 AM
Brian, I have bought from Delvies many times before......so I think you may be right.....I'll call them to check. The only thing I don't like about Delvies is that they ship via Pony Express......it takes like 8 days to reach NY.

Yep- waiting on an order of mirrored as we speak... I've been watching the back roads looking for a horse with saddle bags, but no luck yet...

Shane McGinley
10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Ditto what Joe said. Delvies uses a paper mask on everything I believe...

Brian is correct. We received an order from Delvies yesterday actually and both sides are paper masked.

Steve Clarkson
10-25-2012, 3:59 PM
BOTH sides?

Shane McGinley
10-25-2012, 4:10 PM
BOTH sides?

My apologies, Steve. We just received the cell cast-acrylic sheets and both sides were paper masked on all the sheets.

Joe Kace
10-25-2012, 5:37 PM
Steve
I am having this problem as well right now but I think I have solved mine. I was spray painting the backs of the mirrored acrylic and didn't realize I was using rustoleum for rust protection on metal... The edges were great after the vector cut but as soon as I sprayed the backs the edges started to crack and splinter all over the place. I went and got some plastic paint once I realized what I was using, and the problem went away. It was happening to me on silver and gold mirrored acrylic with the plastic masking.

Vicki Rivrud
10-25-2012, 7:02 PM
Why were you spray painting the backs of the mirrored acrylic? Is it a protective coat?

Mark Sipes
10-25-2012, 7:18 PM
Engraving through the mirror backing and paint filling the engraving.

Vicki Rivrud
10-25-2012, 7:42 PM
Engraving through the mirror backing and paint filling the engraving.

Gotcha . . . I make LED license plates and use the mirror acrylic as a backplate . . . so I thought maybe I was missing a step . . . LOL

Vicki

Joe Kace
10-26-2012, 8:02 AM
Yes I am paint filling the engraving. He is an example of one. This is a Pinball Topper design.

Vicki Rivrud
10-26-2012, 8:24 AM
very nice!