PDA

View Full Version : Robust "comfort" tool rest

Steve krum
10-25-2012, 6:36 AM
I'm getting ready to order one of these. My Nova 1624-42 came with a 12" rest and I would like a 6" I think. Anyway, the post on my stock rest is 4" and the options for the robust are 3.5" and 5". It looks like the rest itself is taller on the robust so I'm thinking 3.5" on the post. Just wondered if any other Nova owners had one of these and what you had ordered? I'm kind waffling between the 4" and the 6". Plan to have both eventually but not sure which one first?
Thanks

Steve

Thom Sturgill
10-25-2012, 7:01 AM
On Robust's site they have a PDF file with a matrix for which post is needed. The Nova 16" lathes all require the 'standard' length post not the 'long' posts for all designs (the comfort, low profile and curved or J rests).

I don't have the Nova, I have the Jet 1642 (which uses the same rests) and have the 6" and 12" comfort rests, the 9" J rest (love it!!) and a curved rest I use very little as most of my turnings are smaller. I find the J rest works when the 6" would be too long.

Steve krum
10-25-2012, 7:13 AM
Thanks for the info.

Steve

Alan Trout
10-25-2012, 8:14 AM
Get the 5" post length. I have a DVR and a American Beauty and the long post works in both lathes. The Nova is a offset banjo so the longer post does not cause a problem at all.

Alan

Michael Mills
10-25-2012, 8:33 AM
I have a 1624 but have not gone out and measured the post. If they are the same price I would get the longer...you can always cut it off but I don't think that will be necessary.

Bernie Weishapl
10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I also have the longer post on my Nova. Doesn't interfer at all.