PDA

View Full Version : Poly over oil?

Ellen Benkin
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
I made a tray from walnut and used an oil finish on it -- 3 coats of Minwax antique oil. Now the person I made it for wants a harder finish, like polyurathane. Can I do that? Should I just keep adding coats of the antique oil?

I'm not good at finishing and I don't enjoy it. I'd just like to get this done and out of my workshop.

Chris Daigh
04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Another option would be to use Waterlox sealer/finish or General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. They will give you good protection from water and are oil based. I have used Arm-R-Seal on a coffee table and my kids have beat the heck out of. The finish has held up though. I just don't like to use poly. Both of these can be wiped on.
I agree with you about finishing. I am always worried it will be streaky or I miss some scratches that are 4 layers deep.

Ellen Benkin
04-19-2005, 2:06 PM
Thanks, Chris. Can either of these be used over the finish I've already applied?

Chris Daigh
04-19-2005, 2:32 PM
The antique oil doesn't have wax in it does it. Otherwise it will be fine. You might consider if you want it to be satin, semi or gloss.

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 10:09 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that MiniWax Antique Oil finish containes Polyurethane varnish...it's a varnish oil. But no matter, you can put another varnish over it...even the evil poly. If it's the latter, you must lightly sand first and between coats that have dried for more than a couple hours or you will get poor bonding. Poly doesn't like to stick even to itself! ;)