PDA

View Full Version : End Grain NE Pear Bowl

Scott Lux
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
This is one that challenged me every step of the way. But I think I got it. 11" across at the widest point, about 4" tall. The center was so punky, I used Polycrylic to stabilize it. I was surprised that it worked so well. It was strong enough to grip a tenon once the piece was balanced. Well at least as balanced as this one got.

There are some areas where the finish didn't work. I don't know if that's end grain issue or polycrylic issue. But I surrendered and called it done. The dark background shows the colors the best. They just didn't pop using WTF. I should have used oil.

Comments and critiques please. I'm especially interested in feedback on form.

Olaf Vogel
10-24-2012, 11:13 PM
I love that piece, great work! Elegant, simple lines, but still captures the natural wood characteristics.
These are tough to do, I've tried...hair raising when you can't see the edge and its all by feel.

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2012, 11:36 PM
That is a beauty Scott. I like the form.

Philip Duffy
10-25-2012, 6:03 AM
Stunning piece! Well done, to say the least. I turn a lot of pear but have not seen anything like your wonderful piece coming off my lathe! Philip

Michelle Rich
10-25-2012, 6:20 AM
I think you were up to the challenge. Picture 4 shows it off best to my eye. As to form, I have no clue what you started out with & what you could have done with it. My suspicion is that this, tho a tad short for the width/flair, may be about the size you had available to you. Great fruit bowl!!

Steve krum
10-25-2012, 6:37 AM
Wow! Just Wow!

Steve

Donny Lawson
10-25-2012, 6:44 AM
This is an outstanding piece. It shows off the wood and your skills. It's a piece that I would probally have to think about. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-25-2012, 8:30 AM
Sweet piece. Well worth any effort.
faust

Doug Herzberg
10-25-2012, 9:14 AM
Nice job on the curve, especially considering you were turning air. I've had similar issues with WTF. It happens when I don't want the yellowing effect of the oils. I'm thinking of going back to lacquer when I want white.

I think the form is very pleasing to the eye and the top view reveals what a challenge it was.

Scott Lux
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks all for the compliments.

Michelle, you are correct this is what I had available. The overall length of the log piece was less than 1/2" more than this bowls height. There is a spot on one "petal" (the one between 2 and 3 o'clock) that is still rough cut. I didn't notice I had missed it until the finish was going on.

Forgot to mention the inside of the bowl is patched/filled with coffee grounds and CA, the bottom with brass shavings and CA. I thought it would be cute to have a shiny surprise on the bottom.

Kelvin Burton
10-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Scott, a very interesting piece, I haven't seen pear with that sort of uneven shape. All the pieces I have had have been very regular and round. I must try an end grain natural edge, thanks for posting and for the inspiration!

Thomas Canfield
10-26-2012, 9:50 PM
Very nice job Scott. I have a triple crotch section that I hope ends up looking even half as good as this. The bark on natural edge really had to be a challenge.