PDA

View Full Version : saw file questions

john davey
10-24-2012, 10:58 PM
OK, I am mad at myself. I was going to buy the new kit at Lee Valley and didn't do it before the sale ended. So I did an inventory to see what I really need since they are now selling them ala cart. This brought me to a question. What is the difference between 4xx slim and 6xx slim. Is it really just 2 inches? I looked in Paul Sellers book and he just recommends 3 files for an entire nest of saws. 7 Slim for 5 - 7 ppi, 7 X slim for 8 - 10 ppi and 6 XX slim for 11 on up. Does this mean that the xx slim is the same file in all lengths just longer or shorter? Do you need the 4" and 5" for the different size saws? As you may figure I am just getting into saw sharpening and was wondering what people think of Pauls suggestions. He seems to be fairly well regarded so I am just wondering. so Do you all use the suggestions from the distonian institute, The Lee Valley site that has the kit has slightly different suggestions that Distonian. Or can you get by with any file that has twice the space on the file to the tooth. Thanks, John

Jim Koepke
10-25-2012, 2:26 AM
The difference in the files is how rounded the corners of the file become as the files get larger. Using a large file on small teeth would make some strange shaped teeth.

Another factor is the size of the file on the expanded chart will be a hair more than twice the height of the tooth. This is so when the file is turned, there is unworn filing faces in the working area.

Last time I bought files the 4" were less expensive than the 6". If you have saws with 13 ppi or more the smaller file works easier for me.

My file selection is based on the recommendations at Vintagesaws.com

jtk

Chris Griggs
10-25-2012, 6:05 AM
A few files can definitely cover a broad range of tooth sizes and it looks like Sellers is advocating erring on the side of having files slightly oversized. I personally, go with files that are on the small side of the typical recommendations. My choice is based on Wenzloff's reccomendations (http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/faq/31-general/68-saw-file-recommendations.html), which he bases on his belief in:

"...using the smallest file possible that fully covers the longest angle on adjoining teeth. Why? Because most instructions advise using a file that only uses one-half of a given file's face. The theory is that this gives the file full use of all three corners and faces as the file wears. The reality is that it is the corners..."

With that in mind I could and often have gotten away with only 3 sizes, but mine are 6" Slim, 6" XX slim, and 4" xxslim.

As Jim said when you compare a 6XXslim to a 4xxslim the corners on the 6" are slightly more blunted, but the difference is very slight. How big of a difference all this makes in your end result I can't say - I certainly find it easier to file with a longer files, but again, I err on the of using the smallest file possible.

David Weaver
10-25-2012, 8:45 AM
I'd agree with Chris. Especially if you have dovetail saws with 15/16 tooth per inch counts, stuff like that. They don't need to have the sharp gullets that a smaller profile provides, but it's nice to have the sharper deeper gullets, and most people will probably file more accurately on small teeth with a smaller file.

I'd use a 5xx or 4xx on teeth that small.